Biscuit, a Casket (A Pawsitively Organic…

Biscuit, a Casket (A Pawsitively Organic Mystery) (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Liz Mugavero (Author)

"The small town of Frog Ledge, Connecticut, has wholeheartedly embraced Kristan 'Stan' Connor's new business--preparing quality organic treats for dogs and cats. On a healthy diet, the animals may live longer ... but one local farmer won't be so lucky. As Halloween approaches, Stan is asked to cater a doggie costume party hosted by the Happy Cow Dairy Farm. Part of a local co-op, Happy Cow specializes in organic dairy products, and farmers Hal and Emmalee Hoffman have started opening up the farm for parties, offering a 'haunted' corn maze as an added attraction. When Hal's lifeless body is found in the maze, the police at first suspect his wife, but Stan soon learns the dairy farmer had plenty of enemies--from bitter family members to shady business associates. If Stan can't extract a kernel of truth from the labyrinth of lies, she may be the next one to buy the farm ..."--Page 4 of cover.… (more)
Member:jocawley
Title:Biscuit, a Casket (A Pawsitively Organic Mystery)
Authors:Liz Mugavero (Author)
Info:Kensington (2014), 320 pages
Rating:**
Tags:New England cozy

A Biscuit, A Casket by Liz Mugavero (2014)

A cozy mystery with dogs and even cows. But not talking dogs or cows and with a surprisingly dark turn. I liked it a lot; it filled that spot between cozies and thrillers. I'll read more by this author.

Provided by publisher. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
A great addition to the series. Everything is in place to make this a cozy lovers dream. Small town setting, interesting characters of various personalities, a wee bit of a romance, and suspects galore. I was pleased the entire way through. My only minor complaint is the there are a couple of side characters that seemed to just take up space. ( )
  StephLaymon | Aug 12, 2018 |
Stan is slightly less annoying in this book. But not by much. At least the ridiculous theme song nonsense from the first book went away, and she wasn't doing quite as much "ooh, look at what I'm wearing" during this one.

This series is ok, but not great. The story was fine--it's a cozy mystery, so how bad can it be? The small town setting is cute. I like Jake, I think, but we don't get a lot of insights into him. We spend more time with his cop sister who clearly is as annoyed with Stan as I am.

But again, I don't love this series, but I also don't hate it. 2 stars. Since I'm a glutton for punishment I will also read book three. Yeah, yeah, I know. But you know I will. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
I love cozy mystery books, but for some reason I just couldn't get into this one. I didn't much care for Stan (Kristan), the main character, so that made it hard to really care much about her detecting skills and whether she solved the murder mystery.
That being said, I thought the book was well written it just wasn't for me. I guess you can't love 'em all. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
4 stars

This is book 2 in Pawsitively Oranic mysteries. I have not read the first and I plan to read the next book in the series this week.

This is a cute animal lovers mystery. Animals are everywhere and spoiled. I admit I have dressed up my dogs in costumes and sweaters. But having a birthday party and feeding homemade meals and treats. Sorry not for my pets.

The mystery was pretty good. Had some twists I did not see coming and some I did. Lots of small town community. Lots of drama and action. Also a clean read at least in language but not for clothes.

Kristan "Stan" Connor's business is healthy organic meals and treats for cats and dogs. She is just starting it and doing well so far. She is still pretty new to Frog Ledge, Connecticut. Stan is single. She has two dogs and a cat.

While at a neighbor farm is having a corn maze and setting up for a birthday party for some dogs. people discover the owner Hal Hoffman dead in it. Hal had been stabbed with a farm tool in the chest. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Mar 5, 2015 |
For Kim, for a thousand years
The chain saw appeared out of nowhere, its wide arc narrowly missing the top of Stan Connor's head.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,943,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible