It by Stephen King

It (original 1986; edition 1987)

by Stephen King

18,058361197 (4.07)1 / 587
They were seven teenagers when they first stumbled upon the horror. Now they were grown-up men and women who had gone out into the big world to gain success and happiness. But none of them could withstand the force that drew them back to Derry, Maine to face the nightmare without an end, and the evil without a name.… (more)
Member:inkster9
Title:It
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1987), Edition: 20th p, Mass Market Paperback, 1104 pages
Tags:joe krogman

It by Stephen King (1986)

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons (amyblue, msouliere)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Locke)
    Locke: Both novels deal with themes of childhood horrors and coming of age. Both have a subtle melancholy tone!
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    The Guardians by Andrew Pyper (lippylibrarian)
    lippylibrarian: Both books feature a group of childhood friends returning to face the horrors of their small hometown after the suicide of a close friend.
    Phantoms by Dean Koontz (caimanjosh)
    caimanjosh: Koontz's take on the shape-shifting monster is more scientific, less epic/supernatural, but entertaining too.
    NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Malevolent entities that prey upon children are the driving force of these creepy, suspenseful horror stories. In both novels, only adults lucky enough to escape the villain's clutches in childhood are later able to battle the evil when it returns.… (more)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Stinger by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Straight on 'Til Morning by Christopher Golden (mniday)
    The Glister by John Burnside (Jthierer)
    Vigilantes #1: Het teken by Gaudin (comtso)
    comtso: Des amis d'enfance, devenus adultes, se retrouvent pour affronter un ennemi de leur passé. Pour réussir, ils doivent retrouver ce en quoi ils croyaient enfants.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Mannivu)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are about a small town infected by an evil influence.
    Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2810michael)
    The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliott (ShelfMonkey)
1980s (25)
Books (10)

English (340)  Italian (5)  Dutch (4)  French (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (360)
Epic. 1100 pages never went by so fast. Many indelible (and very creepy)scenes, with an apolcalyptic finale. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |
been a fan of the tv mini series since i was 10. read this for the new film. amazing book. long. a bit over detailed at times but made my pulse quicken, my heart race, and my spirit swell to be part of the losers club. top 10 fav books of all times. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
I don't know if I can adequately describe how I feel about this book. It's been over three decades since I first read it, and primarily due to its sheer size, one that I never came back to a second time.

Until now.

My point is, the first time I read it, I loved it. I mean, I loved it like I did [b:Carrie|10592|Carrie|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1166254258s/10592.jpg|1552134] and [b:'Salem's Lot|11590|'Salem's Lot|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1327891565s/11590.jpg|3048937] and [b:The Shining|11588|The Shining|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1353277730s/11588.jpg|849585] and [b:The Stand|149267|The Stand|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1213131305s/149267.jpg|1742269] before it. I considered it rounding out King's top five books.

Then, I started it on the very last day of 2016 in audiobook (and really, I gotta say Steven Weber smoked his reading of this. Well done, sir) and finished it yesterday. I needed to give myself about a full day just to process what I'd read.

I'm not going to say anything different from the millions who came before me, but I will say, that, throughout the full read of this book, I kept coming back to two main observations.

The first was, this book is damn near non-stop grab-you-by-the-face amazingly well paced and plotted. There's not really a dead spot in any of its 1000 pages.

The second was, this may well be the perfect horror novel. It hits on so many levels. It covers off, if not all, then a solid and very large list of things that people are scared of, either as kids or as adults. And those list items aren't just the supernatural ones, but also some real-world scares.

I loved every one of the Loser's Club. I loved how the story was really two stories, twenty-seven years apart. At one point, I thought (and could still argue the point) that the Bev's husband/Bill's wife subplot could have been excised without really losing anything, but then there's the redemption at the end that's just a beautiful thing, so I can completely accept it being there as well.

I could go on, but in the end, I think this is, in a list of several where it happened, the absolute apex of King's writing and observational skills. Like he would do later by telling a wonderfully biographical and keenly observed story of those late-teen/early-twenties characters that had the dew fall from their eyes during the late Sixties and into the early Seventies in [b:Hearts in Atlantis|11602|Hearts in Atlantis|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1374048926s/11602.jpg|3166850], this was his take on two other important milestones in life--the children losing their innocence while still hanging on to the magic of childhood, and adults facing middle age, knowing the magic is mostly gone, never to return.

What a stunning, gorgeous novel.

You don't have to look back to see those children; part of your mind will see them forever, live with them forever, love with them forever. They are not necessarily the best part of you, but they were once the repository of all you could become.

So drive away quick, drive away while the last of the light slips away, drive away...from memory...but not from desire. That stays, the bright cameo of all we were and all we believed as children, all that shone in our eyes even when we were lost and the wind blew in the night.

Drive away and keep smiling. Get a little rock and roll on the radio and go toward all the life there is with all the courage you can find and all the belief you can muster. Be true, be brave, stand.

All the rest is darkness.
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
I'm not quite sure how I don't have a review of this book, I really enjoyed it and has been one of the best books that I've read by SK so far.

Just watched the new movie (part 1) and enjoyed it much more than the older series.

Kids: Beverly, Richie, Stuttering Bill, Ben Hanscomb (Haystack), Eddie, Stan, Mike Hanlon (becomes the librarian in Insomnia)

Bad guys: Henry Bowers (knifes ben in the stomach), Belch and Victor (gets hit by the bugs in the refrigerator)

Very interesting story, a very long book but very much worth it. Top 3 king books I've read so far I think at this point. Insomnia happens a handful of years after this book in Derry as well which was cool to hear about some of the same places/streets ( )
  jhavens12 | Sep 1, 2021 |
This book was incredibly inspiring, action packed and thrilling. I'm becoming more and more of a Stephen King fan! I hope the movie is just as good, about to watch it now that I've read the book :) ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |

Reinhardt, Alexandra vonÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, PäiviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"This old town been home long as I remember, This town gonna be here long after I'm gone. East side west side take a close look 'round her, You been down but you're still in my bones." -- The Michael Stanley Band
"Old friend, what are you looking for? After those many years abroad you come With images you tended Under foreign skies Far away from your own land." -- George Seferis
"Out of the blue and into the black." -- Neil Young
This book is gratefully dedicated to my children.
My mother and my wife taught me how to be a man. My children taught me how to be free.

Naomi Rachel King, at fourteen;

Joseph Hillstrom King, at twelve;

Owen Philip King, at seven.

Kids, fiction is the truth inside the lie, and the truth of this fiction is simple enough: the magic exists

S.K.
The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years - if it ever did end - began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made out of a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain.
Be true, be brave, stand. All the rest is darkness.
We all float down here.
If there are certain preconditions for the use of magic, then those preconditions will inevitably arrange themselves.
“A child blind from birth doesn't even know he's blind until someone tells him. Even then
he has only the most academic idea of what blindness is; only the formerly sighted have a
real grip on the thing”
“We lie
best when we lie to ourselves.”

Seven children band together to fight a creature that has been feeding off the fears of the people in the small town of Derry for generations.

5 1944

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,465,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible