The Betrayed by Heather Graham

So, I actually went into The Betrayed knowing that this is a well established series, and that I'd be coming in on the most recent book. There are 13 books in the Krewe of Hunters series that come before this one, but I was told that I'd have no problem reading it as a standalone. I have to say, that was accurate! I may have been missing a bit of the history of the Krewe, but these characters and their story line stood firmly on their own. If you're thinking of picking this up, and worried that you might be lost, never fear. It truly can be read separate from the rest.

On to the review, shall we? In all fairness, I don't read a lot of romantic suspense. However Heather Graham has been hailed as a master of the genre, so I wasn't afraid to pick up one of her books. I've been told that Graham loves her settings, and I now know that to be the truth. This particular book is set in Sleepy Hollow and the surrounding area. Places rich with history and old tales. I was completely impressed at how vivid everything about this setting was. The places become characters in their own right, adding just the right amount of tension to the story. I've never been to these places, but after reading this book I might just have to make a trip and soak up the atmosphere.

The problem was that, although the setting was beautifully done, the characters just didn't catch my attention. I didn't mind Mo or Aiden. They weren't obnoxious, or over the top. Unfortunately, that was exactly what I couldn't latch onto. These characters felt flat. Like paper cutouts of human beings. There wasn't anything wrong with them at all but, because of that, there was nothing attractive about them urging me to care to them. Adding to this, was the fact that the dialogue between all the characters in this book felt very awkward and disjointed. Their interactions were just so uncomfortable for me to read. It made getting through this book take a lot longer than I expected.

At the end of the story, I just felt unfulfilled. As I said, the setting of this book is gorgeous. Perfectly rendered, and definitely with a charm all its own. The mystery aspect isn't half bad either. I liked the twists, and turns. If it weren't for the wooden characters, and disjointed dialogue, I really think I would have enjoyed this story immensely. I've been assured by other readers of this series that the books prior to this are much better. So this might just be a case of a rocky book in the mix. I liked what I read enough to be interested in continuing, at least. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
This book was a page turner and very interesting as all of Heather Grahams supernatural stories usually are. The book is centered around the legend of sleepy hollow and the headless horseman. The great thing about Heather Graham is she creates a mystery and leaves you guessing who did it until the very end. ( )
  velliott73 | May 8, 2016 |
As always, Heather Graham doesn't disappoint. I especially enjoyed The Betrayed because of my love for the story of Sleepy Hollow. One of the features I love about all of her books is the history. In this case, that included the story of the town and surrounding area during the Revolutionary War era, the people who lived at this time, and the traditions surrounding Washington Irving's beloved story. The ghost of Irving himself even makes an appearance on a few occasions.

Our main characters don't stray from the norm. Graham continues to give us the gorgeous FBI agent with special gifts and the "non" FBI agent who also has gifts. They of course meet under horrific circumstances as someone is murdering people and taking heads in typical horseman fashion. The Halloween season setting adds to the atmosphere as our Krewe of hunters tries desperately to get ahead of the killer. The story is fast-paced, full of suspense, and truly hard to put down. There is a bit more gore than usual but it isn't overwhelming and there were a lot of fun twists and turns. I had fun trying to figure out who the killer was and was surprised once I realized who it was. And of course, if you are a romance fan, you won't be disappointed. We get the added bonus of the two main characters getting together as is to be expected from this series.

This is a perfect read for the season. Lots of ghosts, murder, and mayhem. I'll be waiting for the next one! ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
According to Ms. Graham's website, The Betrayed is book 14 in her Krewe of Hunters series. I've previously read only book 13, The Hexed. Both of those books were first published by Harlequin, known for their romances. I've read Oriana Papazoglu's Patient McKenna mystery series about romance writers (definitely recommend looking that one up). In the first book, Sweet, Savage Death, there are guidelines for writing for a new category romance line. I suspect that Ms. Graham is following a guideline for this series. Why?

Both The Hexed and The Betrayed take place in towns with a spooky reputation, Salem and Sleepy Hollow, respectively. Both heroines can see and talk to the dead. Both live with ghosts. Both books are full of interesting historical facts. Both have as supporting characters couples from the Krewe whom I suspect were the leads in previous books. There's romance in the air between the handsome Krewe agent and the local heroine. I dare say that Mo and Aidan will be supporting characters in a future book.

Maureen 'Mo' Deauville and her huge (even for his breed) Irish wolfhound, Rollo, have been locating missing persons for years. Mo moved to Sleepy Hollow (where she spent summers when she was a kid) because she kept finding too many corpses back in New York City. Rollo is very good at his job, but Mo is hiding her psychic talents behind her dog, just as she did with his mother, Heidi.

FBI Agent Aidan Mahoney has been refusing to believe in his own psychic talent, so it's stunted rather than developed. That didn't keep him from being transferred to the new Krewe unit, New York Krewe. Aidan grew up in Sleepy Hollow. He also has a personal stake in this murder investigation because one of the victims was a very old friend.

Was Richard Highsmith truly an honest politician? Was he killed by political enemies or for some other reason? Why were two more persons murdered? The method of disposing of the bodies was in keeping with both the town and the Halloween season. The third murder was especially daring. There's a nice little boy who gets to be put in deadly peril more than once.

If you're in it more for the romance than the murder mystery, there are ghost couples as well as the living. That there appears to be a formula involved is not necessarily bad. Edgar Rice Burroughs and Phyllis A. Whitney had a formula for their books and they were still entertaining.

Will I be checking out the earlier Krewe books? Yes. ( )
  JalenV | May 17, 2015 |
A special thank you to Harlequin MIRA and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

THE BETRAYED, by Heather Graham (Krewe of Hunters #14) a compelling supernatural mystery thriller, which takes place in the towns of Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow, New York, the site of Washington Irving’s LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW.

New York FBI agent Aiden Mahoney dreams (a voice) of an old friend Richard and the next day he reads in The Times, “Highsmith Missing”. Aiden has been working as an FBI field agent at the NY office for the past ten years and the next day he's sent to Sleepy Hollow because Richard's gone missing there, and he desperately wants to find his old friend alive, but he knows he is going to find him dead.

Five seasoned Krewe members have been sent to help with the setup. Aiden likes them all but they have a reputation for being called in on the weird cases. And he likes to avoid weird. The Krewe come from different vocations, all adding something to their special talent—basically, the ability at times to see the dead.

Maureen (Mo) Deauville, has a freelance career as expert on politics who had admired Highsmith. He was that rare politician willing to stand a fight alone. He had not adhered to any political party, he was an independent and people loved him; however, someone hated him—was the murder random?

Mo lives in the historic town and works with her dog, Rollo, to search for missing people. She's actually the one to find Richard…or more precisely his head, stuck on a statue of the legendary Headless Horseman. She loves living in the country versus the city right on the river where she could see Sunnyside, the home where Washington Irving had lived for many years and where he died.

Whereas most people come to the location because of Washington Irving and his short story, they are intrigued and love history; however, someone was turning this into an obscene joke.The team works together as part of the FBI’s paranormal investigators, while exploring both past and present events to figure out who betrayed Richard, who killed him and now wants to kill them, too.

As they work together, to find the killer, (seems to be not only familiar with Sleepy Hollow, but immersed in it), they discover that they share an unusual trait—the ability to communicate with the dead. They also share more than a trait, (a strong sexual attraction, yummy), as they race to capture the killer so they can have some time for themselves.

Just in time for Halloween to create a spooky atmosphere with the graveyards, costumes, haunted mausoleum, Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, history, haunted house, ghost stories, plus more!

I have not read the other books in the series, which would have been nice; however, THE BETRAYED can be read as a standalone. It was fun exploring the differences in Aiden and Maureen, as they both view their gifts in a different way and were a fun pair!

Love that Graham resides in South Florida, as do I West Palm Beach and Florida Keys, where we have a playground at our fingertips year round. Looking forward to reading more from this talented author as sounds like three more upcoming this summer in the series: CONSPIRACY (DC setting), CONVICTION (yeah, Miami), and CONFESSION (Boulder, CO)!

Fans of Jayne Ann Krentz, Lisa Jackson, Carla Neggers, Kay Hooper, Allison Brennan, and Karen Harper will enjoy this mysterious, and captivating series.
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
For Washington Irving
I wish I could have known him!

And to the beautiful state of New York.
To Al, Mystery Mike and all those at
Bouchercon, 2013.
To Connie Perry and Shayne Pozzessere
for a wonderful trip into the shadows
and forests of the Hollow and the mind --
Irving's cottage,
the church, the cemetery... and
all those places where wonder
exists and the imagination can fly.
'They got me, my old friend. They got me.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778316564, Mass Market Paperback)

www.eHeatherGraham.com

Sleepy Hollow isn't so sleepy anymore…

One night, New York FBI agent Aiden Mahoney receives a visitor in a dream—an old friend named Richard Highsmith. The very next day he's sent to Sleepy Hollow because Richard's gone missing there.

Maureen—Mo—Deauville now lives in the historic town and works with her dog, Rollo, to search for missing people. She's actually the one to find Richard…or more precisely his head, stuck on a statue of the legendary Headless Horseman.

Mo and Aiden, a new member of the Krewe of Hunters, the FBI's unit of paranormal investigators, explore both past and present events to figure out who betrayed Richard, who killed him and now wants to kill them, too. As they work together, they discover that they share an unusual trait—the ability to communicate with the dead. They also share an attraction that's as intense as it is unexpected…if they live long enough to enjoy it!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:17 -0400)

One night, New York FBI agent Aiden Mahoney receives a visitor in a dream, an old friend named Richard Highsmith. The very next day he's sent to Sleepy Hollow because Richard's gone missing there. Maureen "Mo" Deauville now lives in the historic town and works with her dog, Rollo, to search for missing people. She's actually the one to find Richard, or more precisely his head, stuck on a statue of the legendary Headless Horseman. Mo and Aiden, a new member of the Krewe of Hunters, the FBI's unit of paranormal investigators, explore both past and present events to figure out who betrayed Richard, who killed him and now wants to kill them, too. As they work together, they discover that they share an unusual trait: the ability to communicate with the dead. They also share an attraction that's as intense as it is unexpected, if they live long enough to enjoy it!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,066,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible