Jackaby by William Ritter

Jackaby (original 2014; edition 2014)

by William Ritter (Author)

Series: Jackaby (1)

Member:Shadow_Sandy
Title:Jackaby
Authors:William Ritter (Author)
Info:Algonquin Young Readers (2014), 304 pages
Tags:to-read, e-books-to-read

Jackaby by William Ritter (2014)

Jackaby is Sherlock and Newt's (from Fantastic beasts) love child.

It was entertaining, fun, and had good characters. I'm sure I'll read on. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
I would probably have given this book a solid five-star review if the mystery had been better. But I figured out the bad guy very early on and then I just waited for everyone to catch on. But, despite that I really, really enjoyed this book.

William Ritter has created a superb paranormal world with wonderful characters. Is the mix of ordinarily and paranormal that makes the book so good to read. Most of the people don't know that there are banshees and werewolves, troll and goblins around them and that makes Jackaby such a great and eccentric character because he sees the "other world".

Besides the wonderful Jackaby we also Abigail Rook; an ordinary girl that happens to be locking for a job and find the one job perfect suited for someone looking for adventures. As an assistant to investigator Jackaby.

This is probably the first YA I have read in a long time that I have enjoyed really much! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Abigail Rook has a knack for noticing ordinary details and when she meets supernatural investigator R.F. Jackaby, it turns out that he needs an assistant that can see the regular world better than him. The first book in the series is a supernatural murder mystery where we get to know the main players and are treated to an interesting new fictional world, based in 19th century New England. Jackaby is a fun twist on Sherlock Holmes and I plan to continue the series to see if it is as good as this first installment makes me think it could be. ( )
  -Eva- | Mar 5, 2019 |
I love this book and yes I’m excited to read the others. In 1975 there was a show, “Kolchak: The Night Stalker” The premises was that he was a Newspaper reporter who uncovers supernatural causes in his investigations. Jackaby is pretty much the same thing except Jackaby is a detective. This book is packed with the supernatural and set in 1892. Oh yeah!! I’m ready to read the second one. ( )
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |
Fun, entertaining, and easy read. Now I'm interested in reading the rest of the series. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Jan 12, 2019 |
For Jack, who makes me want to create impossible things, and for Kat, who convinces me I can and insists that I do.
It was late January, and New England wore a fresh coat of snow as I stepped along the gangplank to the shore.
Three stories tall with, perhaps, room for a small attic, the building was busy with gables and ornate trim. With no apparent consideration for either form or functioin, the architect seemed to have included coumns, arches, and carved festoons wherever space was available in whatever style was handy. Balustrades and cornice windows peeked out from a variety of angles, some of whic seemed uncertain to which floor they belonged. Despite all of the mismatched chaos of its design, the bilding coalesced into something that seemed, somehow, right. No two elements of the property belonged together, but taken as a whole, not a thing stood out of place. (p. 19)

Newly arrived in 1892 New England, Abigail Rook becomes assistant to R.F. Jackaby, an investigator of the unexplained with the ability to see supernatural beings, and she helps him delve into a case of serial murder which, Jackaby is convinced, is due to a nonhuman creature.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,644,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible