Sisters by Raina Telgemeier

Sisters

by Raina Telgemeier

Series: Smile (2)

English (63)  Spanish (1)  All languages (64)
Raina is excited to be a big sister. When Amara is born, things aren’t quite how she expected them to be. Her new little sister is very cranky! Even later--they get a new baby brother too! Later, when something doesn’t seem right between their parents--they understand that they need to get along as sisters. A lot of this book is told as flashbacks through the mode of a graphic novel.

I really enjoyed this book! I have a little sister so it was very funny to see the connections between the relationship between my sister and I and between the sisters in the book. I loved the illustrations and all of the humor of the main character. All of the characters were very likeable and it was easy to read. ( )
  KailiMarion | Dec 9, 2018 |
It's no secret I loved Smile because I could completely relate to what Raina was going through. Every dentist appointment Raina went to I would wince because I could remember those wire tightenings that were torture. With Sisters we get to see Raina growing up with her sister. There are flashbacks from Raina growing up with her sister to the present time in the book where she is going on a road trip with her family.

Raina as a young girl wanted a sister really badly. She would walk around everywhere just chanting the word sister until the day arrived where Amara was born. Raina and Amara have a rough start. All Amara does is cry all the time. Even when Raina tries to be nice to her Amara is doing her own thing. Now of course this tension is bound to happen because they are a few years apart. I always like a sister dynamic in books whether they get along right away or not. Family bonds in general are always interesting to support because I can always relate to them. I don't have a sister - I have brothers but I still can see the fights and camaraderie in Sisters with my life. I'm more like Amara when it comes down to everything especially being the youngest (They have a younger brother named Will). I can be a real pain when my brothers are involved although there is always that love there. The overall message really shows that love still wins out with everything between siblings as long as you care about one another.

The book takes place at a time where Raina's family is going on a road trip to a family reunion. The funny thing is that her mom and her mom's siblings don't get along and end up squabbling the whole time they are there which the kids call her out on. Meanwhile Raina's father is traveling by plane for work reasons but there is a little more to that story that I think kids could relate to if they are dealing with the same things.

While on the road trip and during the reunion Amara and Raina bicker. They think the other one is more annoying than the other. Raina has her music and love of comics while Amara likes drawing like her sister and also has a love of annoying her as well. I know I've been writing that a lot in this review but it's true. Amara likes to bug her older sister. She even got a snake when Raina clearly is afraid of them. She's also surprisingly wise because she mentions how Raina cares what people think of her and she doesn't. A lot of girls end up comparing themselves with other girls or what you are "supposed" to look like or find interesting. Good for her for having some self-confidence although nothing against Raina because who doesn't want to fit in?

Sisters was a great sequel to Smile. I really liked the sibling story and the little messages throughout the story. This is really worth reading if you enjoyed Smile or if you just like comics. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Sisters by Raina Telgemeier is set in the 1980's and the story opens with the Telgemeier family on a road trip to Colorado for a family reunion. Throughout the story Amara has flashbacks of wanting to have a younger sister, and then being underwhelmed when she finally got one. At the reunion, Amara realizes that she has little in common with her cousins now and begins to bond with her sister. Amara realizes Raina is more than just her pesky little sister and they grow closer.

I thought Sisters by Raina Telgemeier was a very interesting book, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the book Smile. The book was not only humorous but also heartfelt. Amara is a very dynamic character and I enjoyed hearing more of her story. ( )
  AbigailW.G1 | Jun 1, 2018 |
Denne var veldig søt, og jeg kjente meg godt igjen i "søskenkjærligheten" for å si det sånn. ( )
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
For Amara, obviously
Are you sure you're all packed?

Raina really cant wait to be a big sister when her mom announces her pregnancy. However, once Amara is born, Raina isn't what she expected from a baby sister. The two fight constantly, especially with Amara's cranky mood swings. Then, before you know it, out comes a baby brother. The two girls need to figure out how to work things out as sisters because unfortunately they are stuck with each other for awhile. The family goes on a family roadtrip from San Francisco to Colorado where the sisters learn how to find the good in being sisters.

The companion to Raina Telgemeier's #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestselling and Eisner Award-winning graphic memoir, SMILE.

Raina can't wait to be a big sister. But once Amara is born, things aren't quite how she expected them to be. Amara is cute, but she's also a cranky, grouchy baby, and mostly prefers to play by herself. Their relationship doesn't improve much over the years, but when a baby brother enters the picture and later, something doesn't seem right between their parents, they realize they must figure out how to get along. They are sisters, after all.

Raina uses her signature humor and charm in both present-day narrative and perfectly placed flashbacks to tell the story of her relationship with her sister, which unfolds during the course of a road trip from their home in San Francisco to a family reunion in Colorado.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:29 -0400)

Three weeks. Two sisters. One car. A true story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,734,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible