The Sea of Monsters (2006)

by Rick Riordan

Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians (2), Camp Half-Blood (2), Riordan's Demi-Gods (1.2)

Demi-god Percy Jackson and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first Percy will discover a secret that makes him wonder whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or a cruel joke.

English (414)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (419)
The second book of ancient Greek mythology adapted as American teenager adventure and drama is just as it's fun as its predecessor. In this book, Percy and his friends have to travel to the Sea of Monsters (now in the Bermuda Triangle) to rescue Grover and find the Golden Fleece. Adventures include dodgeball with cannibal giants, a ship full of dead Confederates, escaping Circe with the help of Blackbeard's pirates, and Grover trying to escape marrying the cyclops Polyphemus. This book also introduces the dim but brave and kind Tyson, one of my favorite characters in the series. ( )
  Othemts | May 26, 2021 |
A nice follow-up in the story, adding a few new characters and developing the main characters relationships with each other. The Greek mythology mixed in with modern sensibility is clever in a young adult way. ( )
  quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
My son and I have continued the series on audiobook, and it is great. We are enjoying the adventures and characters. Lots of moments where I chuckle. Great book for a pre-teen/teen. ( )
  ktomp17 | Mar 21, 2021 |
I'm so glad that I went on with the series, despite not loving the first book as much as I wanted to. I picked this book up yesterday to do a little bit of light reading in the pool, and I didn't come back inside until it was getting dark and I was turning the last page. The writing is fast paced, very funny, and overall BETTER than the first book. I didn't find a moment where I was bored or where I wanted to put it down. And how about that ending?! Needless to say, I can't wait to find out what happens in the next book. ( )
  AshleyHope | Mar 18, 2021 |

Pracontal, Mona deTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick John Riordan,

the best storyteller in the family
My nightmare started like this.
Humans don't exist on the same level as the immortals. They can't even be hurt by our weapons. But you, Percy--you are part god, part human. You live in both worlds. You can be harmed by both, and you can effect both. That's what makes heroes so special. You carry the hopes of humanity into the realm of the eternal. Monsters never die. They are reborn from the chaos and barbarism that is always bubbling underneath civilization, the very stuff that makes Kronos stronger. They must be defeated again and again, kept at bay. Heroes embody that struggle. You fight the battles humanity must win, every generation, in order to stay human.
This LT work is the second volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson's seventh-grade year has been surprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get . . . well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of Percy's friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.

In this fresh, funny, and hugely anticipated follow up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their beloved camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family -- one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or simply a cruel joke.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,207,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible