dismiss

The Sea of Monsters (2006)

by Rick Riordan

Series: Camp Half-Blood (2), Percy Jackson and the Olympians (2), Riordan's Demi-Gods (1.2)

Demi-god Percy Jackson and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first Percy will discover a secret that makes him wonder whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or a cruel joke.

English (398)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (403)
OMG so awesome! I do think there was a noticeable drag to parts of this book, but thought that Rick Riordan has done such a great job of moving Greek gods and goddesses we know into a modern setting with the threat of the Titans re-emerging to cause havoc.

I love Percy. He wants to fit in at school (as much as he can) but he loves Camp Half-Blood and his friends through thick and thin. I think that Riordan did a great job developing him in this one. And I loved the secondary characters too like Annabeth and Tyson. I also though that Riordan was clever with including cyclops into this one along with some guest appearances by some gods and also by a well known king who got rightly cursed by the gods.

I can't help it though, my only irritation was the book ending on a cliffhanger. I loathe that when reading. I think each story should stand alone and be done. It seems to always be something that YA authors do I think in order to keep the readers reading. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
This book is amazing. Rick Riordan delivers again with the funny story about the friends going on another quest. I love Rick Riordan's writing. It is super funny and the characters are lovable. ( )
  InfiniteWolves | Jun 18, 2020 |
Loved this book. Being in the young adult genre, I was hoping it would take some unexpected twists and turns, and I was not disappointed. I've been pleasantly surprised by this series and sad I haven't read it sooner. It's a great series. On to the third book! ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
A nice book for children, I guess.
And also makes a nice instrument for spending time mindlessly.
Though seemed like a repetition of the first book, just shaking up the character settings a bit. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
Most people found this book boring and lifeless. As a huge Percy Jackson stan, I have to disagree (somewhat). This book helps to establish the relationship between Tyson and Percy. Also, Annabeth and Percy grow closer in this book.

Parts I agree on: Yes, the plot and storyline for this book are boring. They go to save Grover from a huge cyclops and they don't even get a quest granted. On their way, there are so many problems and very few heroic deeds in this book.

However, I think that it is necessary to read this book to understand some things that happen later on in the books. There are references made in future books that refer to the events and characters in the Sea of Monsters. ( )
  sarveshi | May 4, 2020 |

Riordan, RickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick John Riordan,

the best storyteller in the family
My nightmare started like this.
Humans don't exist on the same level as the immortals. They can't even be hurt by our weapons. But you, Percy--you are part god, part human. You live in both worlds. You can be harmed by both, and you can effect both. That's what makes heroes so special. You carry the hopes of humanity into the realm of the eternal. Monsters never die. They are reborn from the chaos and barbarism that is always bubbling underneath civilization, the very stuff that makes Kronos stronger. They must be defeated again and again, kept at bay. Heroes embody that struggle. You fight the battles humanity must win, every generation, in order to stay human.
This LT work is the second volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson's seventh-grade year has been surprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get . . . well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of Percy's friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.

In this fresh, funny, and hugely anticipated follow up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their beloved camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family -- one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or simply a cruel joke.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,656,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible