SEA OF MONSTERS, THE by Rick Riordan

SEA OF MONSTERS, THE (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Rick Riordan (Author)

Demi-god Percy Jackson and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first Percy will discover a secret that makes him wonder whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or a cruel joke.
Member:mleynek
Title:SEA OF MONSTERS, THE
Authors:Rick Riordan (Author)
Info:Miramax (2007), Edition: 10th

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (2006)

English (420)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (425)
Another fun adventure. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
This one was a little more action-packed than the first, perhaps because it's just a bit shorter. I saw the movie before reading it and I guess I'm glad I did or I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the movie as much. There are a number of different twists in the film adaptation, likely due to the need to make things even more action-oriented to appeal to the masses.

Overall, I enjoy the world that Riordan has created and the way I can tell he is building toward a larger story arc. An easy read, much like the first book, and a definitely enjoyable bit of YA fiction. ( )
  crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |
OBS: Volume 2
  BibliotecaImaculada | Aug 24, 2021 |
1) i forgot how absolutely evil rick riordan was with these cliff hangers
2) i dont remember literally anything that happens in the third book but im pretty sure sea of monsters is the least interesting of all these oops
3) when does nico show up?? is that book 5?
4) still a classic tho ( )
  beethovensfruit | Aug 21, 2021 |
“Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related for better or for worse...and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum.”
― Rick Riordan, The Sea of Monsters

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.
The Sea of Monsters is the second book in the Percy Jackson and the Oympians series. Percy is now in seventh grade and has made it to the last day without being attacked by monsters or some other horrible thing to get him expelled. He even has a friend. Tyson is a big kid whose only friend is Percy and because of this Tyson is also Percy's only friend. After things go wrong (of course) Percy finds himself back at camp half-blood. Now with the help of two of his friends, he risks almost everything to save the camp and his friend.

Art credit to villainesayre
This was such a quick read. Other than that, it was amazing. I loved it. This series brings greek mythology to life in a fun and easy to read way. The action is almost non-stop, and I think a romance may be in the future. The characters are super like able, even the less liked ones have there moments. *cough* Clarisse *cough*. This is a reread for me but I seemed to have forgot most of the content as it has been years. Still an easy 5 stars and I am super excited for the next book. Even making plans to read the other very interesting series by this author.

Art credit to juliajm15
How I choose my rating:
1* Did not finish, or hated it but forced myself to finish.
2** Didn't really like it. Didn't hate it but not sure why I finished it other then for some closure.
3*** I liked it. I had some issues with it, but as a whole it was good. I probably won't reread again ever, but there is a chance I might finish the series. (If part of one) But if not it's not a huge loss.
4**** I really liked this book. Maybe not a work of genius, but highly entertaining. I might reread this again, and I will finish the series. (If part of one) I would recommend to those I know hold interest in this books content.
5***** I loved this book. I found little to no issues with it at all. I will definitely be rereading this and probably more than once. I will finish the series and reread it multiple times. (If part of one) I will recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!!
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baldinucci, LoredanaTraduttoresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pracontal, Mona deTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick John Riordan,

the best storyteller in the family
My nightmare started like this.
Humans don't exist on the same level as the immortals. They can't even be hurt by our weapons. But you, Percy--you are part god, part human. You live in both worlds. You can be harmed by both, and you can effect both. That's what makes heroes so special. You carry the hopes of humanity into the realm of the eternal. Monsters never die. They are reborn from the chaos and barbarism that is always bubbling underneath civilization, the very stuff that makes Kronos stronger. They must be defeated again and again, kept at bay. Heroes embody that struggle. You fight the battles humanity must win, every generation, in order to stay human.
This LT work is the second volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson's seventh-grade year has been surprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get . . . well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of Percy's friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.

In this fresh, funny, and hugely anticipated follow up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their beloved camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family -- one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or simply a cruel joke.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,394,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible