The Sea of Monsters: Percy Jackson and the…

The Sea of Monsters: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2 (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan (Author)

Demi-god Percy Jackson and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first Percy will discover a secret that makes him wonder whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or a cruel joke.
Member:HYSLibrary
Title:The Sea of Monsters: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2
Authors:Rick Riordan (Author)
Info:Listening Library (2006)

Work Information

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (2006)

English (427)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (432)
3.5 stars ( )
  ChelseaVK | Aug 2, 2022 |
I liked this one better than the 1st! Funny & exciting. I will read this to the kids next! ( )
  panamamama | Aug 2, 2022 |
Eh, this was alright. I'd still call it a good book, but it's definitely the weakest entry in the series. It feels like a spin-off story, for the most part. I don't mind spin-offs, but, considering this is book 2 of 5 of the whole series, I expected a bit more. It's probably my fault that I wasn't a massive fan of this book.

Anyway, a lot of what I like about the first book is present here as well. The jokes aren't as strong as they are in the first book, but they're still decent. Riordan's writing style is extremely entertaining. He doesn't beat around the bush. He just gets straight to the point. As a result, these books have very good pacing. They rarely get boring.

I thought Percy and Annabeth got some great character development here. Percy dealing with the shock of having a cyclops as his brother, and Annabeth being tempted by the singing of the Sirens: they both grow quite a bit as a result of these experiences, and it's great to read.

Though I like how quickly Riordan gets to the point in these books, I also sometimes feel that his books are a bit too short. What I love about the later Harry Potter books is actually their length. They really make the whole war against Voldemort feel like an actual war. Things move slowly, and there are lots of moving elements in the massive storyline. Here, things move along a little too quickly for my taste.

A major problem I have with the first book is the fact that a lot of the epic elements of this story feel undermined by the overabundance of jokes. It's even worse in this book. The battles on Luke's ship and the battle with Polyphemus were really silly. They feel really anticlimactic because a quip or a funny thing has to happen every five lines. It got on my nerves at times.

Anyway, despite the numerous problems I have with this book, I still enjoy it quite a bit. It's still Percy Jackson, at the end of the day, so it's quite hard for me to dislike it. ( )
  JuzamDjinn2500 | Jul 1, 2022 |
An interesting story ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
Really enjoying these books, always loved Greek Mythology so seeing those converted to modern times is great. ( )
  fellanta13 | Feb 14, 2022 |

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baldinucci, LoredanaTraduttoresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pracontal, Mona deTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick John Riordan,

the best storyteller in the family
My nightmare started like this.
Humans don't exist on the same level as the immortals. They can't even be hurt by our weapons. But you, Percy--you are part god, part human. You live in both worlds. You can be harmed by both, and you can effect both. That's what makes heroes so special. You carry the hopes of humanity into the realm of the eternal. Monsters never die. They are reborn from the chaos and barbarism that is always bubbling underneath civilization, the very stuff that makes Kronos stronger. They must be defeated again and again, kept at bay. Heroes embody that struggle. You fight the battles humanity must win, every generation, in order to stay human.
This LT work is the second volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson's seventh-grade year has been surprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get . . . well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of Percy's friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.

In this fresh, funny, and hugely anticipated follow up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their beloved camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family -- one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or simply a cruel joke.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,546,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible