The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the…

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Rick Riordan

Member:2stepnk8
Title:The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2007), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read in 2010, Read but unowned

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (2006)

English (380)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (385)
This book to me is absolutely rediculious I have to say I have never disliked a book as much as this one it us just the story , the first one was good then it went just down hill from there I mean great job you made a book but my gosh, I am sorry but this book wanted to make me throw it across the room of how bad it got.

The book talks about Percy after the whole saving the world and how he now has a brother who is also a cyclopse it just dose not make sense of how a god of the sea would have time to have a baby with a cyclopse. They go on a adventure to find a fleece to heal a tree that keeps the barrier alive also the tree is a girl who is the father of Zues but Zues isn't the god of life he is the god of lighting and storms but whatever this book was just not like the old one. ( )
  Owen.G3 | Mar 26, 2019 |
Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Sea of Monsters Book 2 (Rick Riordan)
New York: Hyperion Books: 2016

Science Fiction, Middle 279pg

Summary:
While at his last day of school before going to camp half blood, Percy is attacked by monsters. Back at camp he follows Clarice on a quest to find the Golden Fleece. Working together they find the fleece and save the tree that provides protection to the camp. While doing this, they also save Thalia, who was dead in the tree, from the fleece's powers.

Critique:
While saving themselves and finding the fleece, Percy and his friends use magic! The book is creative and uses pieces of history to drive the story line.

Activity:(Before)
Looking at the cover and the title, what do you think is going to happen in this book? Where are they going? What is their mission?
  RachaelWilley | Feb 25, 2019 |
I've had my eye on you for awhile Percy Jackson, whenever a series of books, especially in young adult, becomes a phenomenon I make a note to try and read it at some point.

And there is a lot about the Percy Jackson series to like: the adventure, the jokes, the wish-fulfillment aspect of having a secret mom or dad who was actually one of the Greek gods making you a half-blood and eligible for training at, wait for it, Camp Half-Blood. Hogwarts it ain't, but I'll get to that later.

The premise here is that the Greek gods go whereever the heart of Western Civilization is, from Greece to Rome to France to Britain, a German state at some pre-Kaiser Wilhelm period and finally to the United States. The gods are still the gods, but the way they operate has been modernized to good effect. With the gods, of course, come the monsters of legend.

Riordan gets around the hurdle of all the fun mythological monsters being already dead by having them respawn at uneven increments. Vanquish the Minotaur and he might be gone for a lifetime or two weeks, for example.

My main problem with these books was not necessarily the sanitation of Greek mythology, some of the gory bits are left in, but we're supposed to think that these half-bloods were born because the gods and goddesses loved those mortals very, very much? I'm pretty sure I could count on one hand the number of god-human couplings that weren't forced, terrible things that left the mortal cursed or dead or a tree. Occasionally, like Ganymede, you could look forward to serving your rapist and kidnapper his food for eternity.

But I'm forgetting that these books are for the children. Which leads me to my next point, Riordan doesn't trust kids to remember anything. There is a need in a series to sum up certain relevent points in each book, but I'm pretty sure a kid is going to remember that Chiron is a centaur or that Percy Jackson is, I don't know, the son of Poseidon. There are only slim reasons to compare these to Harry Potter: pre-adolescent children discover they have powers, go to place to learn about them. There's a prophecy. That's it. But, as I was leading into with the Percy Jackson, who by the way has a father who is the ancient sea god, bit is that Riordan writes a lot of guff about a prophecy and doesn't deliver, he uses almost no foreshadowing at all, bits from one book to another are dropped or added. At one point a camper is killed on a mission and Percy feels sad about it, and I suppose the reader is to but why? Before ten pages before the character bit it there were no conversations with him, he was barely a name in their dining hall.

I must, however, acknowledge that Riordan understands that kids only need to talk in terms of "awesome" or "cool" and don't need to expand their vocabulary at all. Also that math and reading are hard. I'm sure as a teacher Riordan realizes kids will just pick up appreciation for those things elsewhere. Right. Really it just comes off as patronizing. He tops it off with the notion that ambrosia and nectar, the food of the gods that tastes like your favorite flavors, always tastes like cookies or fresh baked brownies to Percy. That just sounds refreshing, mmmm liquid cookie/brownies. All the time.

There's a suspician I have, and I had this even before I noticed it was a Disney publisher who put these books out, that Riordan uses a ghost writer simply because of how phoned in a lot of the 'meat' of the books are. He also has a lot of series running concurrently now that the original Percy Jackson is finished, R.L. Stine has some competition it seems like.

But, here I am rattling on and on about how simplistic and patronizing a series of books written for 11 and 12 years olds is. I know I would have liked these books, not as much as Redwall maybe (speaking of formulaic children's writing), but that's because I genuinely feel that Riordan didn't give Camp Half-Blood enough weight to become a place in a reader's head, which is the main thing if you want wish-fulfillment.

At times he really fulfilled the promise of a modernized greek mythology, Procruste's as a mattress salesman, Medusa shilling lawn ornaments, once when he hinted at the darker aspects of Dionysus' powers...also a rare appreciation of the much-forgotten Hestia. The books have a raving fan-base, the movie did pretty well, there just wasn't any spark to these books that made my reading Percy & pals tromping from one adventure to another anything but passing time. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
In my opinion, this is where the series really begins. Though it's shorter, the plot is more concise, the characters deeper, the world more believable. I love Tyson and Clarisse and the roles they play. The humor isn't at the expense of logic and reality and doesn't have unsettling implications (which was often a problem in the first book). I love this book. Really brings me back to when I was Percy's age and I was exploring my love of reading. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
Good fluff. I think I saw some plot holes, but they flew by so fast I'm not sure. Percy does learn, a bit - he's now much more interested in prophecies, and willing to think about them. Neat adventure, nice new abilities and equipment, and I like Tyson. It's a question whether he's just young, and will grow up smarter, or if he's like Polyphemus - guess we'll see, sometime in a later book. And a very solid hook for the next book, though I guessed who she was when Percy dreamed about her. I'm glad I read it, I intend to read more of the series, but I doubt I'll ever want to reread this. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 16, 2018 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick John Riordan,

the best storyteller in the family
My nightmare started like this.
Humans don't exist on the same level as the immortals. They can't even be hurt by our weapons. But you, Percy--you are part god, part human. You live in both worlds. You can be harmed by both, and you can effect both. That's what makes heroes so special. You carry the hopes of humanity into the realm of the eternal. Monsters never die. They are reborn from the chaos and barbarism that is always bubbling underneath civilization, the very stuff that makes Kronos stronger. They must be defeated again and again, kept at bay. Heroes embody that struggle. You fight the battles humanity must win, every generation, in order to stay human.
This LT work is the second volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Two: Sea of Monsters, The

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:11 -0400)

Demi-god Percy Jackson and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first Percy will discover a secret that makes him wonder whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or a cruel joke.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,160,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible