Comics Squad: Recess!

by Jennifer L. Holm (Editor), Matthew Holm (Editor), Jarrett J. Krosoczka (Editor)

Other authors: Jennifer L. Holm (Author), Matthew Holm (Illustrator), Jarrett J. Krosoczka (Author), Dav Pilkey (Author), Dave Roman (Author)5 more, Dan Santat (Author), Raina Telgemeier (Illustrator), Ursula Vernon (Author), Eric Wight (Author), Gene Luen Yang (Author)

Series: Comics Squad (1)

"A collection of comics about every kid's favorite school subject: recess"--

The stories are overall funny and well written although some are better than others. I really didn't like that everything is coloured on the scale of orange. It's a good introduction to a number of styles and most are bound to discover a new author to read. ( )
  True54Blue | May 30, 2021 |
Last year around this same time I fell into a bit of a reading slump (yes, it happens to everyone) and I picked up a little comics selection called Comics Squad: Detention hoping that it would revive me. I'm happy to say that it did the trick. Thinking lightning might strike twice, I delved into Comics Squad: Recess! by Jennifer L. Holm, Jarrett J. Krosoczka, Dan Santat, & Raina Telgemeier which is another book from this collection. This book explores the theme of recess with the authors/illustrators charged with coming up with stories which somehow incorporated this theme. (Some accomplished this feat more successfully than others as a few barely mentioned recess at all.) I especially enjoyed the last 2 stories both visually and from a narrative standpoint. (If you're curious, the two stories are "300 Words" by Dan Santat which was a love story and "The Rainy Day Monitor" by Raina Telgemeier & Dave Roman which was about a RPG kickball game.) I like recommending this series to burgeoning graphic novel/comics fans since it contains a variety of storytelling and art styles to give them a better idea of what they might like. This is a great idea for anyone, regardless of age, who might be interested in sampling different writers and illustrators. 8/10 overall and certainly wouldn't say no to reading more from this series (or from the two artists mentioned). ( )
  AliceaP | Aug 24, 2018 |
The strength of this is the Dan Santat story. Really well done. ( )
  kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |
Several of the big names in graphic novels for youth are featured here, with mini-spinoffs off familiar titles and original works. Fans of Babymouse, Lunch Lady, Captain Underpants, etc., come on down! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
My six year old loved this and made me pick it up and read his favorite, [a:Dav Pilkey's|33280|Dav Pilkey|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1309174964p2/33280.jpg] contribution Book ‘Em Dog Man! (intentionally riddled with spelling errors, much to my disquietude). I ended up leafing through the whole thing, and while I did not connect with all of the artists, I was quite impressed by the sections written by [a:Dan Santat|1251403|Dan Santat|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1380608941p2/1251403.jpg] and [a:Gene Luen Yang|68959|Gene Luen Yang|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1415919636p2/68959.jpg] in particular and I will definitely be on the watch for their books. I also enjoyed [a:Eric Wight|2722|Eric Wight|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1249631572p2/2722.jpg] and his Jiminy Sprinkles in “Freeze Tag", it was witty and appealingly drawn. ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |

Wight, EricAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yang, Gene LuenAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"A collection of comics about every kid's favorite school subject: recess"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,547,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible