The Look of Love by Sarah Jio

The Look of Love

by Sarah Jio

"Born during a Christmas blizzard, Jane Williams receives a rare gift: the ability to see true love. Jane has emerged from an ailing childhood a lonely, hopeless romantic when, on her twenty-ninth birthday, a mysterious greeting card arrives from the midwife who delivered her, specifying that Jane must identify the six types of love before the full moon following her thirtieth birthday, or face grave consequences. When Jane falls for a science writer who doesn't believe in love, she fears that her fate is sealed."--… (more)

English (27)  Italian (1)  All languages (28)
I thought this book was silly, sort-of cheesy, and the author overused the verb "grin" and all of its accompanying tenses. The characters weren't developed enough for me to connect with them. Some of it creeped me out, like when Jane's brother watched the lady across the street while she was having intercourse. When she held up the note that said, "Because I can't be with you..." in answer to his "Why?" I groaned out loud. I found myself saying, "Come on, now!" too many times. Not for me. ( )
  destareads | Feb 1, 2019 |
Love comes in many different forms. For all the characters in the book it is unexpected when it comes along. It isn't always welcome in the manner of presents itself. Jane is given a gift where she must see live in all its forms before her 30th birthday (1year away) or lose her own chance to love. All the story lines were interesting and the book was very well written. But, my goodness, I was a bit bummed that Flynn's storyline panned out the way it did. I had hoped the flash forward at the end was just a year or two later and Flynn found his girl again.
And I barely liked Cam.
Oh and I'm sorry but honestly it was hard to root for the characters who were either in love with someone married or married and in love with someone else.
I mean, I know the point of her story seems to be that love happens and it's not always forever, it's not always with the right person and there's no guarantee that it won't make someone unhappy. But I felt like Flynn, Katie, Mary and Jane were the only ones I was really rooting for. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
As a small child, Jane Williams watched as her father left her, her mother, and her older brother Flynn, breaking her mother's heart. When she was eighteen, her mother died, also.

Jane has always guarded her heart.

But while guarding her heart, she's been running the flower shop she inherited from her mother and grandmother. As a florist, she spends her days making gifts of love for other people to give. Jane loves her work, loves making flower arrangements that bring happiness, but her own heart has never been in danger.

At twenty-nine, on Christmas, which is also her birthday,she receives a card from a stranger, with a very strange message.

Jane has a special gift, the ability to see true love, and she has a set of tasks to complete before sunset on her thirtieth birthday. If she fails, her life will remain forever unfulfilled.

It's a lot to take in, and it's hard for Jane to take seriously. All her life, though, she's had attacks of dizziness and foggy vision when truly looking at certain couples...

This is a very gentle book, a kind book. The premise may seem out there, but Jane and her friends are real people, good and loyal, not without flaws, but trying their best to do the right thing. And as Jane learns to navigate her confusing gift, trying to use it to help rather than meddle, the reader comes to care not just about Jane, but her friends--her assistant, Lo; her college friend Katie; the baker, Elaine; the hairdresser, Mary; and her brother, Flynn.

This is a book that acknowledges pain and loss and the complications of love, but remains hopeful and optimistic.

Highly recommended.

I received a free electronic galley of this book from the Penguin First to Read program. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
This was the perfect book to read during this week, a few days before Valentines Day. If you need a shot of romance, or a little magic this is the book for you.

Jane was born on Christmas Day with a special gift - she can see love. But just because she can see love doesn't mean she has love in her life. I loved the side stories of Jane's family & friends. This wasn't too "mushy" and definitely has a realistic aspect, making this an enjoyable read - even for a bah humbug cynic like me. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
The magical realism books I have read are so magical, so in that way I do not want to call this that. Even though it is.

Jane is a normal woman, she loves her flowershop, she has good friends, and life is good. Just, she has never been in love. And then she is told she has a year to find 6 different kinds of love, or else she will never find love for herself.

Jane can see love, she has always been able, she has just not known it. And here the magical thing comes in. Her vision gets blurry when she sees love. But doctors says she has a tumor and that it might kill her. So, can she actually she love, or is her brain slowly dying?

The book was good, easy, fun, a bit tragic and just good. The pages flew by. I liked Jane, I hoped the best for her. And I liked her friends that all had their stories in there too, all while she searched for the truth.

It also made me want to read more books by this author, and luckily she has a few out already ;) Win win for me.

Recommended. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Jio's book The Look of Love was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,916,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible