Time Square | The Shift (Volume 1) by Mr S W…

Time Square | The Shift (Volume 1) (edition 2014)

by Mr S W Lothian (Author)

Title:Time Square | The Shift (Volume 1)
Authors:Mr S W Lothian (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2014), 212 pages
Tags:Time Travel and Archaeological Story

A time travel and archaeological story with an interesting storyline. Probably an interesting read for a six to twelve year age group. The book is fairly slow with little action. Has a very abrupt cliffhanger ending. I will not be looking for the next book in this series. ( )
  jimphillips8 | Mar 13, 2018 |
Although this is aimed at younger readers, I was disappointed with the flow of the story. I found is repetitive at times, and slow going. I like the idea behind the story line, but I didn't get into the characters much and I found the lead archaeologist annoying. I'd like to think younger readers would find more adventure in this than I did, and that it simply didn't gel with me on this occasion. ( )
  loopyem | Apr 10, 2015 |
A fun story, this book deals with two of my favourite subjects, time travel and archaeology. It was an enjoyable read and the characters and places were all a little larger-than-life.

The only downside I found is that the story didn't really get going until near the end of the book. I prefer to read a book and have the story finish - setting up for a sequel is fine, but in this instance the story stopped abruptly without drawing near to a conclusion. It was a definite cliffhanger ending and I found that a little disappointing if I'm completely honest.

All in all though, the book was enjoyable and should hold appeal for younger readers. ( )
  bellymonster | Apr 9, 2015 |
S.W. Lothian's imagination holds no bounds, as we found in his previous books - the Quest series - when some kids were drawn to ancient Egypt via Time Square. Now Time Square takes centre stage in this exciting adventure in which the very existence of time is threatened.

We are in the 1930s. Dr. Hudson returns from an expedition to the recently discovered Machu Picchu with a strange obelisk. He shows it to his children, twins Eva and Lewis, and they find themselves whisked through a time portal to Time Square - where someone is expecting them. Someone not very pleased. Someone very pompous. Someone who is expecting trouble. Big trouble.

The obelisk turns out to be central to the maintenance of time. It's been moved and placed in totally unsuitable conditions. Time reacts violently - very violently, and Time Square is in chaos as a result. The only thing to do is return the obelisk to its proper position - but Dr. Hudson's science rival has stolen it and moved it once again. Forbidden to mess further with time, Dr. Hudson can only watch and wait as the experts get to work to save them.

It's an exciting storyline. There are lovely touches, such as the people with alliterative names who speak alliteratively too! I laughed out loud at a line I really should have seen coming. Time Square is beautifully described; the chaos that reigns during shifts is suitably pendular, so that things rush to and fro across the floor as time shifts. One could get quite seasick reading it!

Unfortunately there are some stylistic issues that detracted from my enjoyment, and I had no idea that we were going to be left with a cliff-hanger ending. I'm a person that likes my series to be complete stories in themselves, not a serial. Loose ends, fine. If you don't mind, then give this book an extra star, but that's why it's a 3 from me. 3.5 for ingenuity.

I received an ARC from the author for my honest, unbiased review.
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
This is another wonderful series from this author. In this series we meet Dr. Rex Hudson and his family. Dr. Hudson and his assistant are in Peru at Machu Pichu looking for something important. They find a black obelisk and have it shipped back to his home. Once home he shares the exciting find with two of his three children, twins Eva and Lewis. While inspecting it the three of them are sucked into it and find themselves in Time Square where all time goes through. Unfortunately when they are sucked through the youngest son Thomas is left at home with his aunt who had been staying with them while their father is away. Once in Time Square Dr. Hudson realizes by bringing back the obelisk he has upset time and time travelers everywhere are stuck. He and the children must find a way to get back home and get the obelisk back to where it belongs. Unfortunately the obelisk is stolen making their job more difficult. The children are set to the task of helping to rescue those stuck in time.

Like his previous books in the Quest Series, S.W. Lothian is a master at creating time travel stories. The other thing I love about his books is that he has the ability to tie adventure, suspense and humor all together in one book. This is definitely the recipe for hooking a middle grade reader. I am so glad I had the opportunity to read and review this book. It is one I will put on my shelves at school and then sit and wait impatiently for the next book in the series.

I received a review copy from the author. ( )
  skstiles612 | Apr 20, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

S.W. Lothian's book TIME SQUARE | THE SHIFT was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,737,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible