The Buried Giant (Vintage International) by…

The Buried Giant (Vintage International) (original 2015; edition 2016)

by Kazuo Ishiguro (Author)

"An extraordinary new novel from the author of Never Let Me Go and the Booker Prize winning The Remains of the Day. "You've long set your heart against it, Axl, I know. But it's time now to think on it anew. There's a journey we must go on, and no more delay. . ." The Buried Giant begins as a couple set off across a troubled land of mist and rain in the hope of finding a son they have not seen in years. Sometimes savage, often intensely moving, Kazuo Ishiguro's first novel in a decade is about lost memories, love, revenge and war"--… (more)
Member:PeteMcC57
Title:The Buried Giant (Vintage International)
Authors:Kazuo Ishiguro (Author)
Info:Vintage (2016), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Work Information

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro (2015)

The Greenlanders by Jane Smiley (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Similar sense of foreboding in a historical setting where the important parts of the stories are the parts left unsaid.
    The Scapegoat by Sophia Nikolaidou (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Though very different in style, both novels (spoilers ahead!) ask how we live with a culturally traumatic history (the Holocaust, apartheid, etc).
    Harvest by Jim Crace (spiphany)
    The Company of Ghosts by Lydie Salvayre (susanbooks)
    Wall of Days by Alastair Bruce (spiphany)
    Company of Liars by Karen Maitland (Othemts)
    The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera (LiteraryReadaholic)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (LiteraryReadaholic)
    The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White (Othemts)
    Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)

English (217)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (229)
Read this for a book report. Yep I am back in school.

Litrvixen | Jun 23, 2022 |
Ever since I first read on Ishiguro novel (Never Let Me Go) I have appreciated his writing style and the feeling you get that you just don't know which way the plot will go. This book is no different although the setting and the mythic aspects are new territory to explore with this author.

The story follows an elderly couple as they battle with a mist which has stopped people remembering events of even the recent past. The story is set in a itme just after the dealth of King Arthur of legend, when the land is split between the indiginous Britons and the incomming Saxons. Against this backdrop the couple embark upon a journey to visit their son, who lives in another village, along the way they are asked to look after a young Saxon boy whose village is in fear of him.

The story is really well crafted, the ending was terribly sad but until the very last few pages not at all predictable.

Even if historic fantasy is not your normal genre I would recommend this book becuase it is first anf formost a literary work in which the author interogates memory and how we respond to it. ( )
  restimson | Jun 22, 2022 |
Never cared about the characters. ( )
  Kate.Koeze | Apr 15, 2022 |
"Some of you will have fine monuments by which the living may remember the evil done to you. Some of you will have only crude wooden crosses or painted rocks, while yet others of you must remain hidden in the shadows of history." Kazuo Ishiguro, The Buried Giant.

I read this originally a few years ago and only gave it three stars, but now after reading more of Ishiguro and understanding his themes and style, and then giving this a reread, I'm upping it to five stars. This changed my entire Ishiguro leaderboard as I had this at the #5 spot and now it moves up to #1. I'm also switching Never Let Me Go and Remains of the Day after much thought.

He is at the top of his writing game now as he writes about an elderly couple as they journey through Arthurian England to visit their son and the various people they meet along the way--a knight, a warrior, a boy, and a boatman. In this book, a dragon's mist has fallen over the land so that people cannot quite remember the past. While a number of Ishiguro works tackle individual memory, here he tackles collective memory and perhaps the things we do to live after war and tragedy.

Be warned that there are dragons, but this is not your Game of Thrones, so if that is what you are looking for, keep searching.

Current Ishiguro Ranking:
1. Buried Giant
2. Remains of the Day
3. Never Let Me Go
4. When We were Orphans
5. An Artist of the Floating World.
6. The Unconsoled ( )
  auldhouse | Mar 19, 2022 |
The giant is a metaphor. ( )
  nbornstein | Mar 5, 2022 |
Fantasy and historical fiction and myth here run together with the Matter of Britain, in a novel that’s easy to admire, to respect and to enjoy, but difficult to love. Still, “The Buried Giant” does what important books do: It remains in the mind long after it has been read, refusing to leave, forcing one to turn it over and over. On a second reading, and on a third, its characters and events and motives are easier to understand, but even so, it guards its secrets and its world close.

There are authors who write in tidy, classifiable, immediately recognizable genres — Jane Austen, Alexandre Dumas, William Faulkner, Gabriel García Márquez, to name a few — and then there are those who adamantly do not. These others can surprise us with story lines and settings that are guises to be worn and shucked after the telling. Masters of reinvention, they slip from era to era, land to land, changing idioms, adapting styles, heedless of labels. They are creatures of a nonsectarian world, comfortable in many skins, channelers of languages. What interests them above all in their invented universes is the abiding human heart.

Kazuo Ishiguro is such a writer.
added by lorax | editWashington Post, Marie Arana (Feb 24, 2015)

Ishiguro, Kazuoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gower, NeilEndpaper art; (cover?) typographysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Horovitch, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mendelsund, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weinstein, IrisDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Gradiva (155)
DEBORAH ROGERS
1938-2014
You would have searched a long time for the sort of winding lane or tranquil meadow for which England later became celebrated.

'There's a journey we must go on, and no more delay...' This is the extraordinary new novel from the author of Never Let Me Go and the Booker Prize winning The Remains of the Day. The Romans have long since departed, and Britain is steadily declining into ruin. But at least the wars that once ravaged the country have ceased. The Buried Giant begins as a couple, Axl and Beatrice, set off across a troubled land of mist and rain in the hope of finding a son they have not seen for years. They expect to face many hazards - some strange and other - worldly - but they cannot yet foresee how their journey will reveal to them dark and forgotten corners of their love for one another. Sometimes savage, often intensely moving, Kazuo Ishiguro's first novel in a decade is about lost memories, love, revenge and war. [www.bookdepositiry.com]
In post-Arthurian Britain, the wars that once ravaged between the Saxons and the Britons have finally ceased. Axl and Beatrice, an elderly British couple, set off to visit their son, whom they haven't seen in years. And because a strange mist has caused mass amnesia throughout the land, they can scarcely remember anything about him.
As they are joined on their journey by a Saxon warrior, his orphan charge, and an illustrious knight, Axl and Beatrice slowly begin to remember the dark and troubled past they all share. By turns savage, suspenseful, and intensely moving, The Buried Giant is a luminous meditation on the act of forgetting and the power of memory, an extraordinary tale of love, vengeance, and war.
Axl and Beatrice
go on a quest and find the
truth about themselves.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,552,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible