It Ain't Me, Babe by Tillie Cole

It Ain't Me, Babe (edition 2014)

by Tillie Cole (Author)

Series: Hades Hangmen MC (1)

19413111,419 (4.19)None
Salome knows only one way to live - under Prophet David's rule. Trapped in a commune and bound by her strict faith, Salome knows nothing of the world outside - until a horrific event sets her free. Styx 'River' Nash was born and bred to wear a Hades Hangmen cut. Haunted by a crushing speech impediment, Styx never lets anyone get too close, that is, until a young woman is found injured on his lot.… (more)
Member:suzydano
Title:It Ain't Me, Babe
Authors:Tillie Cole (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2014), 464 pages

Work Information

It Ain't Me, Babe by Tillie Cole

Wow, I really, really did not enjoy this. Two stars because I read it very quickly and the writing wasn't terrible but I did not have a good time.

First off, to get some pettier complaints on the way, the Texan dialect in this book was terrible. It seemed to me that Cole, who I believe is British, didn't really understand the grammatical rules of a southern dialect and it made for some sentences that, as a southerner, were physically painful to read.
"I weren’t d-dealin’ with shit like a Prez shoulda."
This sentence makes no sense; this is not a correct sentence, even in the dialect. It makes me think that Cole thinks Texan dialect is just English with bad grammar and it's not. There were also some parts that made me think that Cole thinks that the KKK and neo-nazis are the same. There's definitely some overlap in their beliefs but they are not the same.

I was having a really hard time suspending my disbelief with some elements of this relationship. Mae goes from knowing absolutely nothing about the outside world to being okay with being in a relationship with Styx within weeks despite the horrible sexual abuse she went through. For how long this book is, there's no excuse for her trauma to be acknowledged more explicitly. I've read four other books by Cole with traumatic themes and dark characters but I thought it was handled a bit better in those books. I know that Cole writes stories with love-at-first-sight elements but I don't think that should be an excuse to not deal with the dark themes she puts in her books.

I also hated the love triangle in this story. It felt like Mae was having a very weird reaction to Rider and I just didn't really understand her thought process at all. It seemed like it was an attempt to lay the groundwork for things that happened later in the book and I think that really didn't work. This book was really long and I think the elements with the love triangle could have been cut back to improve the pacing of this book. It also took away focus from the relationship between Mae and Styx and I do think it meant that the relationship was still underdeveloped by the end of the book.

I also don't really like stories where love fixes some disability one of the characters has. In this book, Mae magically improved Styx's stutter. I think this is a pretty bad idea about how disability worked and the idea that some perfect person can "fix" you. I didn't realize how central this theme was to the plot and it really affected my enjoyment.

I've liked Tillie Cole's dark romance in the past but this one came out a bit earlier so I think she's improved since this book come out. I don't anticipate continuing this series. There is the potential for there to be some interesting themes explored in this series but I just don't think this series is for me. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
maybe 4.5 stars?? i’ll have to stew on my thoughts for a little while because i’m not totally sure how i feel yet lol ( )
  beethovensfruit | Aug 21, 2021 |
YAAAAAAAAS, that is all. The perfect amount of action/naughty/wtf .. I cannot wait for Flame's story cannot waiiiiiiiiiit ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |

ayoshina | Oct 2, 2020 |
This isn't my first Tillie Cole book, so I knew that I wasn't going to get something that was all light and fluffy. I settled myself in for something dark, intense, twisted, and maybe even unsettling at times. I was not disappointed. Tillie Cole can write the frak out of a book.

Mae is on the run from the twisted, terrible cult that she was raised in. She's been told all her life that she's one of the Cursed, a woman created too beautiful, one who will tempt men beyond reason. She ends up running away on her 23rd birthday because she's been told that she had to marry the fat old pervert who runs the cult she belongs to. On her way out, she gets attacked by a dog and is bleeding. When a nice woman picks her up, Mae gets the woman to drop her near a compound in Austin, TX so that she can hide. She curls up, and slowly starts to bleed out.

Styx is the Hangman's Mute. He has a severe stutter, so he really only speaks to one living person, and 3 people in his whole life. So, Styx uses ASL and his best friend Ky to interact with the world. Since his father died a year ago, he's been the Prez of the Hades Hangmen. While he's never been short of available women, there is only one female he ever thinks about, and that's a wolf-eyed little girl that he met 15 years ago. She was behind a fence, but he could talk to her. She was the 3rd person in the whole world that the python around his throat loosened enough to talk to.

When Mae comes to, she's in Styx's bedroom, being doctored. When she leaves the room, she sees Styx, and he recognizes her eyes. And thus, everything starts.

There are a lot of interesting things that go on in this book. There are all kinds of things going on in the background, some we see, more that we don't. One of the biggest twists I had no idea was coming, which well, duh, that's what makes it a twist, but I didn't even get a hint of it coming, and sometimes I can see what's going on. The upcoming books are going to be interesting, especially with who I think one of the couples is going to be. I'm not entirely sure how that's going to work, so I'm definitely going to have to read it and find out. ( )
  tetisheri | Aug 15, 2020 |

Tillie Coleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Green, AnnieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harding, J. F.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

You stay here, River. Got it?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,458,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible