The Woman Who Would Be King: Hatshepsut's Rise to Power in Ancient Egypt

by Kara Cooney

5747132,651 (3.65)1 / 40
A portrait of the longest-reigning woman pharaoh in Ancient Egypt draws on surviving artifacts to consider her unprecedented rise, her achievements and why most of her monuments were destroyed after her death.

English (70)  Dutch (1)  All languages (71)
Obviously, you can't fault a writer for admiring their subject... But, an author can definitely skew things, even about a modern focus, much less one so long ago with so many gaps in records. Ms. Cooney is definitely knowledgeable, and there's a lot to learn from this book, but she seemed to me to grasp with both hands any opportunity to give Hatchepsut praise or the benefit of the doubt. And that impartiality irritated me more and more as I went along. I get that this ruler has been unfairly maligned because of her sex, and I understand wanting to come to her defense, but going too far in the opposite direction is also a mistake. Cooney made a case that Hatshepsut, rather than Cleopatra is more deserving of our respect and memory. Arguments along the lines of 'Hatshepsut didn't make any grievous military mistakes', 'Hatshepsut didn't tie herself to any foreign men'... And it's fine to have a preference between the two, but comparing their rule is apples and oranges! Circumstances change considerably in 1500 years!!! What IS plain, is that both women were savvy, and unafraid to take the lead. And I think each would have done much the same in the other woman's shoes. Neither is perfect, but both rose above society's expectations of a woman's role and carved out a place in history. It's an impressive feat in any age! ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
**dates are APPROXIMATE**
Kara Cooney did a fantastic at painting Hatshepsut’s life for readers.
Short and sweet, Cooney brilliantly narrates Hatshepsut’s life and rise to power in Ancient Egypt, especially during a time where, in other countries, women had absolutely no power or say in day to day life.
Because I loved this book so much, when I heard that Cooney was coming out with another book in November, I absolutely had to preorder it! ( )
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |
It's a good thesis, but needs a good editor. So repetitious. ( )
  tpitts6 | Sep 11, 2020 |
I learned all sorts of stuff about ancient Egypt that I didn't know, and I really enjoyed the details of Hatshepsut's life even knowing the parts that had to be conjecture. I didn't like it as much as [b: Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine Who Launched Modern China|17857634|Empress Dowager Cixi The Concubine Who Launched Modern China|Jung Chang|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1367929789s/17857634.jpg|24258096], but if you're curious about women leaders throughout history this was a solid choice. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
This book is an informative and enjoyable biography that presents this period of Egyptian history with a depth well beyond what I learned in school. Cooney is upfront about the limitations of the archaeological evidence and the assumptions that Egyptologists---including herself---have made to fill in the blanks.

Cooney compares Hatshepsut's rise and reign to cultural perspectives and biases around women in power throughout history. It's an interesting biography that is relevant more than three millennia later. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jun 28, 2020 |
We’ve come a long way since the 15th century B.C., but what’s interesting is how much remains the same.

Kara Cooneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cain, DavidCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shieh, DeborahIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Neil, with whom I have walked through many fires.

And for Julian, whose happiness doesn't yet make him cry.
The Nile, lifeblood of the world's first great civilization, flowed calmly outside her palace window.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kara Cooney's book The Woman Who Would Be King was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,980,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible