Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda (original 1988; edition 2007)

by Roald Dahl (Author), Quentin Blake (Illustrator)

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hating headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.
Member:White_Star2008
Title:Matilda
Authors:Roald Dahl (Author)
Other authors:Quentin Blake (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin Books (2007), Edition: Illustrated, 240 pages

Matilda by Roald Dahl (1988)

The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    The BFG by Roald Dahl (Morteana)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Wicked adults are defeated and there is much humor. Erudition is prized. T. H. White is funnier than Roald Dahl, more erudite and less grotesque.
    Charlotte's Web by E B White (krizia_lazaro)
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
    Carrie by Stephen King (TomWaitsTables)
1980s (66)
Robin (12)

English (398)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (419)
Like most people in the 21st century I have grown up watching the classic 1996 movie version of Matilda starring young Mara Wilson. It was wonderful. But in all this time (24 years) I have never read the book. So last week, I sat down and read the book.

It was most disconcerting to discover that the original book was set in England, while the movie is clearly American. The difference bwteeen Dollars and cents and Pounds and pence is quite unnerving.

Most of the events in the book, are also seen in the movie. Up until the trunchbulls second class lesson. The one where in the movie, Lavender flies up the roof, one of the boys gets thrown out of the window and the chalk writes a mysterious message to the trunch on the chalkboard.

The big scenes from the movie - where Matilda and Miss honey visit the Big house where Miss honey used to live, and they have to fight to escape after the trunch unexpectedly returns, is not in the book. Also not in the book, is the part where Matilda uses her powers to get the doll from the house for Miss honey. These scenes in the movie, all happen before that second class lesson as mentioned above.

The next day after the trunchbull faints, she disappears and Miss honey finally gets to move back into her fathers house. She also gets to adopt Matilda, but not like the movie did it. In the book, it was just a verbal agreement. The movie had the wormwoods signing adoption papers.

The book also mentions that Matilda loses her powers after these events. In the movie, she keeps those powers.

I give this book 3 stars simply because of the disaprity between the book and the movie. Now if I had read the book, before the movie came out, it might have had a higher rating. But I cannot undo what was never done or read. ( )
  Robloz | Sep 23, 2021 |
This review was originally posted on Once Upon a Chapter

It is so hard to write a review for Matilda by Roald Dahl and leave out all of the fangirling. I'll do my best though! Hands down Matilda is the book of my childhood. It was the kind of book that a bookish girl could take solace in; to know she wasn't alone. Thankfully I had a mother who encouraged reading so my situation was improved over Matilda's.

Matilda herself is the kind of protagonist you can see yourself being best friends with. Matilda is a kind, sweet, and very smart little girl. She also has a thirst for justice and as a five year old that isn't always easy to dish out. But Matilda's mind works in ways that even some adults have yet to figure out.

The Trunchbull is an exquisite antagonist. She is everything a child in elementary school fears and loathes. If you didn't love Matilda just for who she is, you certainly feel united with her and the other students in the war against the Trunchbull. The Trunchbull is a rude and vulgar woman who has no business being in the education field.

Miss Honey is the perfect example of an excellent teacher. She's the kind we all hope we get. She is kind and caring. Her biggest downfall is that she doesn't stand up for herself. Almost to the point of allowing herself to be harmed rather than have a confrontation.

Matilda may be a children's book but it is a classic that any age can appreciate! ( )
  stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
This review was originally posted on Once Upon a Chapter

stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
One of my favourite childhood stories!!! ( )
  SapphireMoonlight23 | Aug 5, 2021 |
Kiddie review: apparently telekinesis is where it's at. ( )
  dowswell | Jul 25, 2021 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslet, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.
The reader of books

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,572,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible