A Bollywood Affair by Sonali Dev

A Bollywood Affair (edition 2014)

by Sonali Dev (Author)

Series: Bollywood (1)

Mili Rathod hasn't seen her husband in twenty years--not since she was promised to him at the age of four. Yet marriage has allowed Mili a freedom rarely given to girls in her village. Her grandmother has even allowed her to leave India and study in America for eight months, all to make her the perfect modern wife. Which is exactly what Mili longs to be--if her husband would just come and claim her. Bollywood's favorite director, Samir Rathod, has come to Michigan to secure a divorce for his older brother. Persuading a naïve village girl to sign the papers should be easy for someone with Samir's tabloid-famous charm. But Mili is neither a fool nor a gold-digger. Open-hearted yet complex, she's trying to reconcile her independence with cherished traditions. And before he can stop himself, Samir is immersed in Mili's life--cooking her dal and rotis, escorting her to her roommate's elaborate Indian wedding, and wondering where his loyalties and happiness lie.… (more)
Member:MINUSMASC
Title:A Bollywood Affair
Authors:Sonali Dev (Author)
Info:Kensington (2014), 304 pages

Work Information

A Bollywood Affair by Sonali Dev

A Bollywood Affair
4 Stars

Married at the age of 4, Malvika "Mili" Rathod hasn't seen her husband for 20 years. Nevertheless, her married status has enabled her to achieve a freedom that other girls from her small village in India have been denied. Now if only her husband would come for her, Mili's life would be complete. Unfortunately, said husband has moved on with his life and needs an annulment. Enter his brother, Samir "Sam" Rathod, Bollywood's sexiest bad boy director, who travels to Michigan to confront Mili and get her to sign on the dotted line. What ensues is a delightful story of mistaken identity, yummy Indian cuisine and a romance for the ages . . .

The best word to describe this book is "cute". Sam's reformed rake persona will be familiar to any reader of historical romance, and it is great to see him falling so hard for Mili. Mili is a total Mary Sue but in such a sweet and caring way. Her klutzy moments only add to her charm. Sam and Mili's friends-to-lovers romance is enchanting and they have excellent chemistry together.

Usually, the dreaded keeping secrets trope is a complete no-no for me. Thankfully, Somali Dev manages to overcome its pitfalls as it makes sense in the storyline and never had me waiting for the other shoe to drop. Moreover, the manner in which it comes to light is very matter-of-fact and the ensuing drama and angst only enhance the romance.

The supporting cast is also great and some of the interactions, especially with Sam's family, are laugh-out-loud hilarious. It all made me think of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but set in India.

On a final note, I started out listening to the audiobook but had to stop halfway through. While Priya Ayyar's Indian accent is engaging, her male and female voices sound the same. This is problematic in a romance, especially as Sam is supposedly a huge guy with a deep baritone, but he sounds like a young girl.

All in all, this is highly recommended for lovers of food and romance. Warning - do not read this book when you are hungry. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 5, 2023 |
audio fiction/desi-style romantic comedy (with sex scenes and sparse swearing), 10+ hours

Millie and Samir (both of whom are beautiful/slender/model-like, and from India temporarily visiting the US) are adorable when thrown together and then they become absolutely sizzling, but there are more than a few hurdles they must clear first, any one of which might be a deal-breaker if they weren't so in love. Priya Ayyar is a star as a narrator, deftly switching between character voices and conveying a wealth of emotion in her Hindi accent. ( )
  reader1009 | Dec 8, 2022 |
Well, this was refreshing. It wasn't the ordinary American romance and I really liked it. I felt that both the man and the woman of the main couple were a bit mary-sue-ish though. They were so pretty and perfect that it bugged me a bit. But I still liked this a lot. ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
I've read both The Bollywood Bride and A Change of Heart prior to this one (yes, I know I'm doing it backwards), and I was pleasantly surprised. Usually, the first novel is the weakest. The opposite it true here. I enjoyed this much more than Dev's later books. It's sweet, charming, and full of heart. And whereas the other two felt forced at times, this one flowed naturally.

Now that I've read this, I have a hankering to re-read the other two (even Heart, which mightily pissed me off at the time) and then the newest one in the series. ( )
  wisemetis | Dec 6, 2020 |
It is difficult to review a "romance" because a large part of it is hitting the right note with the reader - a very individual taste (and, for some, dependent on their being in the right mood). This was the right book at the right time for me. It was a watered-down romance, or a more romantic Chick lit: the author had far more skill in writing than most romance novels (putting it in the chick lit category), but had a great talent at writing that chaste-early stages "the touch of your fingers makes my heart flutter" of love that develops chemistry... And makes you sit in the middle of the train station, whining every time a travelling companion asks why you have that facial expression, remarking "why can't I have a love like that?"

Note that characters in the novel do partake in premarital sex, as not everyone can be the virginal female protagonist, so do not expect this book to be appropriate for those who read "the gift you give when you are married" kinds of romances. That said, this is a book about falling in love - not steamy sex every other page like some romance novels.

While most of the book takes place in the United States, with Indian characters, plenty of Hindu terms of affections, (translated) Hindu phrases and a Punjabi wedding, it can give a North American an exotic adventure into an unfamiliar culture or possibly remind someone of their Indian roots (or the fun of an ex-partner's). I have not seen that many Bollywood films (and many of my references come from Raj Koothrapoli), the book was based on an older English/a (seemingly) classic Bollywood archetype of the smaller, physically delicate but mentally strong woman coupled with the physically big and strong but emotionally vulnerable male. Of course, while I am not quite as short as Mili's 4'9", since women are generally smaller (a trend that is changing, yes) I was quite readily able to put myself in her place... Until she spoke of her colouring, but what can one expect? The book really spoke to that classic need of not only a spark but feeling safe with a partner: physically, emotionally, spiritually... Having not found that yet (in a romantic partner) but recognizing its importance, I not only had fun with the (to me) exotic elements but how much that hit home.

I think if you have read the premise and can suspend your disbelief enough to pick up the book, the author easily takes you on the rest of the journey. Other than that author's liberal use of a specific, presumably favourite word (I will not tell you which one, for it would then definitely stick out like a sore thumb as it did me), the writing is fairly tight, the characters are likeable and the journey is fun. It is an enjoyable read. ( )
  OptimisticCautiously | Sep 16, 2020 |

Sonali Devprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ayyar, PriyaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,275,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible