The Vast Landscape by Jacqueline Cioffa
611,894,448 (5)None
Bold contemporary fiction, THE VAST LANDSCAPE shares one woman's journey filled with doubt, mistrust, fame, and self-discovery. Join Harrison on her quest to find inner peace despite the harrowing obstacles placed in her way. Will she succeed in stripping away her complex armor to unmask the flawed, beautiful, and strong iconoclast kept hidden for so long? Honest to a fault, Jacqueline Cioffa creates a challenging love story sparkling with narrative originality.… (more)

This review was written by the author.
Reader Buzz

"I cannot tell you how long it has been since I have had the attention span to read a book. The book arrived on a Friday and I sat down to "look at it" and found myself captured by Harrison's story. Before I knew it, it was 2am and I had read half of the book! Escape from life yourself and order a copy for yourself. I assure you, you will be pleasantly satisfied and captivated by Harry's story." - Tim Reilly, Amazon Reader

"Her writing is flawless. I am a voracious reader, usually two or three books going at any one time,until being blindsided by The Vast Landscape. I've been dreading the moment when I would turn the final page - I wanted more... I can't get Harrison out of my head - she makes me re-think everything I know of my life - and makes me want to live life even more fully. - Timothy Quinn

"Very thoughtfully written. The character of Harrison is beautiful in so many ways. You root for her to find her way through her challenges and flaws. Compelling reading for anyone who has dark days and fights against it." - Amazon Reader

"The magic of Cioffa's debut novel, The Vast Landscape, ultimately shines its light on the power of the written word to illuminate the depths of human experience, and allow the spirit to soar unbound by its physical reality and limitations through its brash heroine, Harrison." - Julie Davidow ( )
  choff777 | Aug 14, 2014 |
Harrison's experience of her new milieu is full of sensory observation. An early chapter refers to the city in tantalizing terms: "New York tasted better than chocolate, was wilder than anything Harrison had imagined, and smelled like opportunity. The streets vibrated under her boots."

The reader senses early on that the writing of the book is a labor that likely netted the author a great deal of satisfaction — perhaps like the deep sigh a person releases after a long-awaited accomplishment is achieved and is finally ticked off life's to-do list.

"I'd say there is a point where it's creative nonfiction." Cioffa said. "It's based on truth, the fantasy comes where Harrison finds all her big dreams and accepts her flaws and is willing to let down her walls. That's a big moment for this character.

"This girl has a huge heart and big dreams and she's deeply flawed, and I find that people really related to that," Cioffa said of her protagonist.

To My Mother
I am floating freely, in crystal, clear blue water.
Let There Be. Light. Let There Be. Family. Let There Be. Love.

Brace yourself Harrison Gertrude, you’ve got to be strong. No tears. DO NOT CRY. YOU DO NOT CRY.

I am the transient soul like all others, allowed to wander the woods, beaches, to live inside temporary moments. I have loved, laughed, cried, hurt, chose the empty life, until love finally found me a home.

Jacqueline Cioffa is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,866,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible