The Roosevelts: An Intimate History by…

The Roosevelts: An Intimate History (2014)

by Geoffrey C. Ward, Ken Burns

follows the lives of Teddy, Franklin and Eleanor. Well written ( )
  margaretfield | May 30, 2018 |
5 stars goes to the actual documentary DVDs and 4 stars to the book. I started reading the book and made it 300 pages in when I decided to watch the DVDs instead. Incredibly awesome. Teddy Roosevelt always held such fascination for me, so learning more about him was engaging and Franklin I did not know quite as much about but I am enjoying learning how this man, paralyzed from polio at age 39, turned his life into a triumphant and ended up being one of the greatest Presidents in American history. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Jun 26, 2017 |

Geoffrey C. Wardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, Kenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For the late Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., who helped us at the beginning and for William E. Leuchenburg, who has been helping us ever since.
(Preface) One drowsy summer afternoon in 1908, in the fifth-floor offices of the law firm of Carter, Ledyard & Milburn, at 54 Wall Street in Manhattan, the junior clerks were idly talking about their dreams for the future.
(Introduction) Between them, Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt would occupy the White House for nineteen of the first forty-five years of the twentieth century, years during which  much of the modern world - and the modern state - was created.
When Theodore Roosevelt was asked about Class Martenszen van Roosevelt, the Dutch peasant who founded the Roosevelt clan in America, he liked to call him "our common - very common - ancestor."

An extraordinarily vivid and personal portrait of America's greatest political family and its enormous impact on our nation-the tie-in volume to the PBS documentary to air in the fall of 2014.

This handsome, engaging, revelatory book is an intimate history of three extraordinary individuals from the same extraordinary family-Theodore, Eleanor, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Geoffrey C. Ward, distilling more than thirty years of thinking and writing about the Roosevelts, and the acclaimed filmmaker Ken Burns help us understand for the first time that, despite the fierce partisanship of their eras and ours, the Roosevelts were far more united than divided. All the history the Roosevelts made is here, but this is primarily a book about human beings, each of whom somehow overcame obstacles that would have undone less forceful personalities, and all of whom wrestled in their lives with issues still familiar to the rest of us-anger and the need for forgiveness, courage and cowardice, confidence and self-doubt, loyalty to family and the need to be oneself. This is the story of the Roosevelts-no other American family ever touched so many lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:34 -0400)

An extraordinarily vivid and personal portrait of America's greatest political family and its enormous impact on our nation--the tie-in volume to the PBS documentary to air in the fall of 2014.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,721,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible