Chasing Power

by Sarah Beth Durst

Sixteen-year-old Kayla, whose telekinetic ability allows her to be a master shoplifter with enough money to flee with her mother if her father finds them again, meets Daniel, who has the ability to teleport and needs her help to find and steal an ancient incantation that can help rescue his kidnapped mother--but may lead to great danger for Kayla.… (more)

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Entertaining story that was full of adventure, romance, and suspense. I really enjoyed this and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun YA sci-fi novel.

Opening Sentence: Razor blade.

The Review:

Kayla is not your average sixteen-year-old girl. Sure, she likes to hang out with her best friend, go to the beach, and check out cute boys like any other girl her age does. But she also likes to steal and she has a special power that makes it really easy for her to never get caught. For her whole life she has had the ability to move things with her mind which makes picking pockets very easy. For the last few years she has perfected the art of stealing and she has never been caught until now.

Daniel is a stranger that suddenly appears in Kayla’s life demanding that she help him find his kidnapped mother. He happens to know her secret and he threatens to expose her if she refuses to help him. Daniel’s mother is an anthropologist and she has spent her life working on a special project that got her kidnapped. To save her Daniel must find some ancient stones that supposedly have magical powers and he needs Kayla’s help. Daniel also happens to have a special talent, which is the ability to teleport anywhere in the world. Together Kayla and Daniel travel the world in hopes of saving Daniel’s mother before it is too late.

Kayla was a spunky girl with lots of attitude which I completely adored. She is funny and always seems to have a comeback for everything, which made her a very entertaining character. But she is also a very compassionate person, and even though she is a thief she still generally tries to be a good person. I think one of my favorite things about Kayla was the unique relationship she had with her mother. In many ways their relationship reminded me of Lorelei and Rory Gilmore’s. Of course there were some major differences but their bond was very similar. They were so close and for the most part they were completely honest with each other. Overall, I thought that Kayla was a really fun character and I was glad I got to read her story.

Daniel was a swoon worthy boy. With his good looks and shy personality he was hard not to like even though he was blackmailing Kayla. The thing I liked most about him was that he surprised me. He didn’t end up being what I originally expected from him and I enjoyed that. He is a good person and he was perfect for Kayla. They evened each other out and while there wasn’t much romance, the little there was were adorable. I loved watching them get to know each other and thought they made a great couple.

Chasing Power was a fast paced adventure that had engaging characters, cute romance, and great action. My favorite part of the story was all the different settings that were explored throughout the story. Because Daniel can teleport, he and Kayla travel all over the world and I found that really interesting. Durst did a really great job describing each setting to where I felt like I was there with the characters. The plot also had some great surprises that I wasn’t expecting and that is always a huge plus for me. Durst has such beautiful writing and she really knows how to weave together an entertaining story. While I haven’t read many books by Durst, this was by far my favorite from her. This was a very quick read for me and I really enjoyed it. I would highly recommend it to anyone that is looking for a great adventure with cute romance.

Notable Scene:

Before she could react, he clamped a hand on her shoulder, and State Street vanished.

Dark. Light. Blue sky. She felt her knees buckle, and a pair of strong arms hauled her backward. She pitched back and landed hard on her butt. She was on a slope—a slope composed of red tiles. Like a roof.

Exactly like a roof.

She was on a freaking roof.

The boy sat calmly besides her.

She was even with the tops of palm trees. The leaves tickled the lip of the roof. Below was State Street, bustling exactly the way she left it, minus her and Daniel. “What—“

FTC Advisory: Bloomsbury provided me with a copy of Chasing Power. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Nov 12, 2014 |
CHASING POWER was an excellent story with a wonderful main character. Kayla and her mother fled from her father when she was eight. After a time of flight, homelessness, and uncertainty, they found their way to Santa Barbara. Kayla's mother told her they ran because her father had killed her older sister Amanda and her mother was afraid that he would kill Kayla next. Kayla was born being able to use telekinesis and she has honed her skills by becoming a great shoplifter. She is eager to add some money to the family pot and to build up a hidden reserve in case they have to run again.

She is caught by a young man named David who has a power of his own. He's able to teleport to any place that he has seen a picture of. He blackmails Kayla to help him rescue his kidnapped mother. They visit a voodoo queen in New Orleans who tells them a story about three magical stones and a spell that can make the wielder invincible. She sets them on the path of finding those stones because that would help them find Daniel's mother.

Kayla and Daniel learn lots of secrets about their parents' pasts and both Kayla and Daniel suffer betrayals along the way. Kayla is strong and smart and not very trusting. Nonetheless, she and Daniel do become good friends and maybe even fall in love.

I liked Kayla's relationship with her mother and with her best friend Selena. I thought Kayla's psychic gift was cool. But, if I could have any psychic power, Daniel's teleportation is the one I would choose. He takes them to so many wonderful and exotic places as they search for the three stones. Of course they encounter lots of danger in their search too. From being trapped in a Mayan pyramid to being buried in bones in a crypt in Spain, the action is fast and furious.

This is a story that will appeal to adventure lovers and romance lovers. I can't wait to share it with my students. ( )
  kmartin802 | Sep 17, 2014 |
For Rachel Bickford
Razor blade.

Sarah Beth Durst is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,512,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible