Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome

by John Scalzi

Series: Lock In (prequel)

4013652,940 (4)43
"In the near future--and sooner than you think--a new virus will sweep the globe. At first it will look like the flu, but then we will discover there is something else about it ... something we weren't expecting. It will change society forever. No, this isn't another zombie virus. And no, this isn't the apocalypse. It's Haden's syndrome. We'll survive it. But the world will be remade in its image."--Jacket flap.… (more)

I need to review my notes from Lock In, but I think I may have enjoyed this intro more than I did the full book. Though I will note that I agree with one of the comments on the TOR site that the different people telling their stories do not really have individual voices.

Note that I read this during the CoVid19 pandemic during the shelter-in-place which made the first half of this feel very real and chilling. ( )
  suzannekmoses | May 20, 2022 |
an interesting take on a pandemic, written just prior to a pandemic... ( )
  travelgirl-fics | May 15, 2022 |
This was a great teaser. Can't wait for Lock In. ( )
  tsmom1219 | Feb 24, 2022 |
Far, far too short. If you are thinking about buying this, the page count is deceiving, this book has extra wide margins, headers, footers and quadruple spacing between the short paragraphs. This should be a $5 book, at most.

This is a prequel to Scalzi's Lock In series, about victims of Haden's Syndrome. It does not reveal much that we already didn't know from the books, so if you haven't read the series yet, this will be useful. If you have read Lock In, you won't learn much. I thought it was well written and interesting, just way, way too short and the price is way off base.

Get this one used or on a 50% off sale and it might be worth it. If you are thinking about reading this in 2021 or 2022, also note that it may resemble the current coronavirus situation a bit too much for comfort for some people. Given what has happened in the last 18 months, it also makes some of his speculations invalid, which is a really short timeline for speculative fiction to be off. ( )
  Karlstar | Aug 29, 2021 |
Say what you will, this man understands the shape of the world ( )
  Teuthex | Jun 24, 2021 |

Scalzi, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crabapple, MollyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gale and Karen Scalzi who helped at the start of things.
Twenty-five years ago, doctors and hospitals were receiving their first cases of the disease that was initially misdiagnosed as a variant of the Influenza A subtype H5N1, and then was briefly known as "The Super Bowl Flu" and "The Great Flu," and then finally, after the full extent of the damage it could cause was known, named "Haden's Syndrome."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,115,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible