The Compact edition of the Oxford English…

The Compact edition of the Oxford English dictionary: complete text… (original 1971; edition 1971)

by James Augustus Henry Murray

Member:greyolive
Title:The Compact edition of the Oxford English dictionary: complete text reproduced micrographically
Authors:James Augustus Henry Murray
Info:New York : Clarendon Press, 1971.
Rating:*****
Tags:English, lexicography, linguistics

The Oxford English Dictionary [Compact Edition] by Oxford University Press (1971)

kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
Unique history of the English language and how it's changed and grown. Unfortunately, this is the edition I own. So much about the English language has changed in the last 3 1/2 decades! Wish I had the funds to subscribe annually online to the OED! But it's still fun to look at the old editions, such as this one, to see the history of the English language up until that time. ( )
1 vote Lisa2013 | Apr 16, 2013 |
I love this dictionary. Sometimes I flip it open and read it just for fun, peering down at the page with my funky replacement magnifying glass (having lost the sleek one which came standard, tucked into its very own drawer), reading about the histories of my favorite words or finding new ones that I'll probably never have any occasion to use. This dictionary also makes an excellent end table, if you're not the sort of person who is bothered by coffee rings to your books. Mine looks like crap - battered and stained, scuffed on all sides from repeated moves. It's a set made to be used - sturdy binding, clear type, table-sized slipcase, handy drawer for stuff - and that just makes me love it more. In fact (and I realize that by now I am starting to sound a little insane), we have two copies in our house. People think this is excessive, but what if something happened to one of them? Better to have a spare, just in case.
Yes. I love this dictionary. ( )
2 vote paperloverevolution | Mar 30, 2013 |

Oxford University Pressprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simpson, J. A.Editormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Oxford English Dictionary [Compact Edition] is a microprint version of the multivolume Oxford English Dictionary. It is not the same work as the Compact Oxford English Dictionary.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0198612583, Hardcover)

Proper words in their proper places--and a good many improper ones, too! If the OED's many obsolete definitions tend to be the most enjoyable--shuff is dialect for "shy," dolt was once upon a time a verb as well, meaning "to befool"--everyday idiosyncrasies still abound. But, for instance, occupies nine columns of text, and who would wish a single line away? There's also the sublime pleasure of trawling through the sea of relevant quotations. The OED's initial team of "voluntary readers" was asked to cite as many phrases as possible for both archaic and ordinary terms. None seems to have found this remotely arduous, and we now reap the ubiquitous ("present or appearing everywhere; omnipresent") rewards. This huge venture is a labor of lore, love, and good humor. One caveat: If you skip over the Historical Introduction, you'll miss learning about the Unregistered Words Committee, and overlook the wry warning, "If there is any truth in the old Greek maxim that a large book is a great evil, English dictionaries have been steadily growing worse ever since their inception...."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:26 -0400)

Being a corrected re-issue with a introduction, supplement, and bibliography of A new English dictionary on historical principles, founded mainly on the materials collected by the Philological Society and edited by James A. H. Murray [and others].

36 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,516,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible