Hubris Falls by Matthew Hiley

Hubris Falls

by Matthew Hiley

621,875,326 (4.67)None

No tags.

I have always felt that male friendships are truer than female friendships, and this book backs my theory on that. What an honest study of the times, the issues, friendship, life.

This group of friends set out on a trip between college years and real life that will teach them more about real life than they can imagine. Some parts of this book contain humor, some parts contain sadness. All of it seems true. It is a book about life, and it doesn't hide the ugly parts.

Well-written, bold, a page-turner and not easily forgotten.

Thank you to NetGalley.com and the publisher for my copy ( )
  Bonnie.Franks | Aug 18, 2019 |
For being almost four hundred pages, this was a fairly quick read. I found it to be from the author sucking me in by literally summoning out loud laughter. The subjects that he entwined into his story were all very subjective and controversial. It was approached with such delicacy, I never once thought it to be over done, or over opinionated.

These topics are brought up in the story line through dialogue between a group of graduates who are on an adventure at the Rio Grande River. The dialogue between everyone couldn't have been any more realistic and genuine. The group of graduates have no respect for conventional rules, but it's not from a lack of education or defiance. They just have a "I don't care" attitude, resulting in drugs, and alcohol binges, the foundation to their in depth discussions.

This is a great read, especially for recent graduates. I would highly recommend this to all my friends, and I rate it at a 5/5. With the various viewpoints of each character, you're bound to find yourself attached to at least one character and their viewpoints or ideals. ( )
  lizasarusrex | Dec 24, 2014 |

Brian "Legs" Hamilton is a tortured, complex, intelligent young man. He is blessed to have some of the best friends a person could ask for. They consider themselves the greatest of philosophers, debaters, theologians, and adventurers. They are unafraid to conquer whatever the world may throw at them... whether it be free-climbing a thousand foot cliff, or attempting to smoke the largest joint known to man. After graduating from college, Legs and his friends embark upon one last road trip before they must face the real world... rafting the extreme rapids amidst the canyons of the Rio Grande River along the Mexican border as their final chaotic drug-fueled exploit. A five-day adventure that was supposed to be the best time in these young men's lives ends up as a nightmare that will haunt them forever. Hubris Falls is a darkly comic, very tragic, fast-paced, brilliant tale that will inhabit your mind long after the final page is turned.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:21 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Matthew Hiley's book Hubris Falls is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,314,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible