Spoken Lebanese by Maksoud N. Feghali

Spoken Lebanese (edition 1999)

by Maksoud N. Feghali

711,132,059 (4)None
Member:csajdak
Title:Spoken Lebanese
Authors:Maksoud N. Feghali
Info:Parkway Publishers (1999), Paperback
Tags:arabic, lebanese

Spoken Lebanese by Maksoud Nayef Feghali

Spoken Lebanese, by Maksoud N. Feghali, is a useful tool in the process of learning the language. Since it is easier to learn how to speak the language before learning to write it, it is very concentrated on pronunciation of words and phrases. I learned more about the difference between Lebanese and American culture. It is not easy to memorize words and phrases, but there are tools in the book to help with this.

The author uses a system with English lettering and a few other symbols to represent pronunciation in a way that an English speaking person could understand. I found it difficult to remember what the letters are supposed to sound like. For the sounds that I was unfamiliar with, it helped for the author to explain how to execute the sound. A tool that was very useful was the free .Mp3 downloads retrievable online to listen to the way words and phrases were meant to be pronounced. The author explains the structure of the words. This is useful, but the official terms used also make it a little confusing.

There are many differences in Lebanese and American culture that the author describes. He is sure to explain useful parts of the culture that would be necessary when traveling there. I think the most important things the author describes are proper greetings and codes of conduct in a social and business environment. I also consider how to communicate about travel very valuable in the book. I like that the author includes offenses and mishaps, because I may not know if I am making a mistake and I would definitely not want to get into trouble in another country.

Memorizing how to speak Lebanese is especially hard, because it is not a Latin based language and hardly any words, or use of words, are similar. I personally have people I can talk to in order to get the information to stay in my mind once I learn it. The author encourages practicing with fluent speakers. It is also effective to listen to the recording of the author reading the book while you look at the lettering. "Reinforcements", or suggestions and useful exercises, are given at the end of each chapter that may help you. An appendix in the back of the book consists of lists of words that are most important to learn, which cuts down on some of the things to memorize.

Overall, Spoken Lebanese is very useful in the journey to learning the language. It is difficult to pronounce these words and remember when and to whom to speak them. Even though the Lebanese language can be confusing to a foreigner, the writer is good at explaining. The author uses effective tools to help you. This would me a great book for an American to bring with them and read before going to Lebanon. ( )
  Alijah | Sep 3, 2010 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible