The Sleeper and the Spindle by Gaiman, Neil…

The Sleeper and the Spindle by Gaiman, Neil (2014) Hardcover (original 2014; edition 1800)

Member:EmmyAnn1097
Title:The Sleeper and the Spindle by Gaiman, Neil (2014) Hardcover
Authors:
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (1800)

The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman (2014)

English (81)  German (1)  All languages (82)
Neil Gaiman puts the spin on the age old story of the sleeping princess in the castle, in his flawless, dreamy prose of mild creepiness. Beautifully illustrated in black, white and gold, in a weird blend of grotesque and art nouveau. Gorgeous both in language and art.

Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
What a great twist on a classic story! I love Gaiman's creepy story tellings. I also enjoy a princess/heroine who doesn't wait for the prince to save people but goes out and saves people herself! ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
It was the artwork that caught my eye. And the illustrations more than lived up to expectations - the book would be severely lacking without them!
I love fairy-tale mash ups and this is one of the best. No handsome princes coming to rescue you in this ... For those who like strong female characters - this is the tale for you!
And now I am going to lend this to my parish priest who saw me reading it after mass, while waiting to pick up my son from Sunday School. ( )
  Nadishka | Jan 26, 2019 |
I first read "The Sleeper and the Spindle" in Gaiman's Trigger Warning, back in 2015. Since this retelling / mashup was one of my favorites in the collection, I was super excited to see a standalone illustrated edition, so I preordered a copy as soon as it was available. But, I made myself wait a few years before I re-read it in its illustrated format. And I'm glad I waited! Riddell's artwork adds a layer of creepiness that I didn't feel the first time I read it.

4 stars

(I wish I could find an illustrated copy of "Snow, Glass, Apples" -- I guess that's why they invented the wishlist.) ( )
  flying_monkeys | Dec 31, 2018 |
This is a beautiful book and a lovely story. I didn't want it to end -- wanted to know what adventures the Queen would get up to next. Neil - *please* write more of her tale... ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Riddell, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Holly and Maddy, my daughters who woke me up N.G.
For my daughter Katy, on the beginning of her quest C.R.
It was the closest kingdom to the queen's, as the crow flies, but not even the crows flew it.

Weaving together a sort-of Snow White and an almost Sleeping Beauty with a thread of dark magic, which will hold readers spellbound from start to finish. On the eve of her wedding, a young queen sets out to rescue a princess from an enchantment. She casts aside her fine wedding clothes, takes her chain mail and her sword and follows her brave dwarf retainers into the tunnels under the mountain towards the sleeping kingdom. This queen will decide her own future - and the princess who needs rescuing is not quite what she seems. Twisting together the familiar and the new, this perfectly delicious, captivating and darkly funny tale shows its creators at the peak of their talents.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,570,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible