Lucian Freud: Eyes Wide Open by Phoebe Hoban

Lucian Freud: Eyes Wide Open

by Phoebe Hoban

Series: Icons (2)

What should have been an amazing read, given the fascinating subject, turns out to be basically a straight reporting of the many lovers Freud had and the number of children he spawned, somewhat irresponsibly, though I doubt any of them, if they could, would argue their way back to their mother’s womb successfully. This book happened to be my introduction to Lucian Freud. His art is nothing really that interests me a great deal, but his methods and possible psychosis I think would. Being a grandson of Sigmund Freud would offer much to consider regarding the artist’s long life and relationships with other notable characters from the British SOHO that existed in the same underbelly as regards their art. More of a personal study of his relationships with Francis Bacon and John Deakin alone would have been thrilling to me. But, it was not to be. And perhaps never will unless it gets made-up as most of history undoubtedly seems to. ( )
  MSarki | Jan 24, 2015 |

Phoebe Hobanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Merlington, LauralReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0544114590, Hardcover)

Lucian Freud: Eyes Wide Open includes an insert featuring photos and reproductions of the artist’s work:

example 1
Click to enlarge
example 2
Click to enlarge

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:27 -0400)

Traces the life of the artist who painted everyone from Kate Moss to Queen Elizabeth and whose intent was always to find and reveal the character hidden within by means of his intense visual imagination.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,920,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible