Wait for Signs by Craig Johnson

Wait for Signs

by Craig Johnson

Series: Walt Longmire (short stories), Walt Longmire

Tony Hillerman spoiled me for anyone else writing about the West. But Johnson's books are pleasant and interesting. First met Longmire on Netflix!! ( )
  Elleneer | Aug 18, 2017 |
A collection of short stories written around the holidays. Always fun to visit Absaroka County with Walt, Henry, and the gang. But mainly I visit for Walt and Henry. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
I was quite happy when NG approved me for reading this book since I’m a huge fan of Craig Johnsons Longmire series. They only thing that would have made me happier would have been a new book in the series instead of a book with short stories, many which I have already read. But never less I was happy (Unfortunately, I had to wait to read this book because of the Nora Roberts book I was reading… meh)

I thought this book would only have one new story that I haven't read before, but it had a couple which was a fun surprise, and I took the opportunity to read some not all of the stories that I had read before, like “ Messenger”, I love that story.

There are 12 stories in this collection. A must read for Longmire fans!

Old Indian trick: Never underestimate an Indian…3
Ministerial aid: Walt as the Messiah…4
Slick-tongued devil: Never try to con a grieving sheriff…4
Fire Bird: Old ladies shouldn’t play with fire…3
Unbalanced: Walt gives a young girl a lift and they talk music and life…3
Several Stations: Walt should stick to his occupation; theater isn’t his thing but he makes a good santa…3
High holiday: Never try to fool Walt that you are jewish…3
Toys for tots: Buying presents for Walt isn’t easy…3
Divorce horse: A horse goes missing…3
Thankstaking: Walt and Henry isn’t on the same page when it comes to Thanksgiving…3
Messenger: Walt, Vic, Henry, bears and an owl…4
Petunia, bandit queen of the bighons; Walt tells the story of Petunia, the ewe that launched a thousand strays...3

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
A very good set of short stories about Sheriff Walt and his environs. Interestig glimpses of problem times and quirky situations. Each a quick read but very enjoyable. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jan 11, 2017 |
Few of these short stories involve serious crimes, but that's okay; the heart of Johnson's writing is the dialogue between the characters, and a certain strain of liberal sentimentality placed in the head and mouth of the rural, Viet Nam veteran, sheriff narrator. These stories fit in a variety of interstices in the series; I'm only a few books in, and none of these stories ruined any major developments for me. Several occur around Christmastime of various years. ( )
  bezoar44 | Nov 27, 2016 |

Craig Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Phillips, Lou DiamondIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Twelve Longmire short stories available for the first time in a single volume—featuring an introduction by Lou Diamond Phillips of A&E’s Longmire

Ten years ago, Craig Johnson wrote his first short story, the Hillerman Award–winning “Old Indian Trick.” This was one of the earliest appearances of the sheriff who would go on to star in Johnson’s bestselling, award-winning novels and the A&E hit series Longmire. Each Christmas Eve thereafter, fans rejoiced when Johnson sent out a new short story featuring an episode in Walt’s life that doesn’t appear in the novels; over the years, many have asked why they can’t buy the stories in book form.

Wait for Signs collects those beloved stories—and one entirely new story, “Petunia, Bandit Queen of the Bighorns”—for the very first time in a single volume, regular trade hardcover. With glimpses of Walt’s past from the incident in “Ministerial Aide,” when the sheriff is mistaken for a deity, to the hilarious “Messenger,” where the majority
of the action takes place in a Port-A-Potty, Wait for Signs is a necessary addition to any Longmire fan’s shelf and a wonderful way to introduce new readers to the fictional world of Absaroka County, Wyoming.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:26 -0400)

"Ten years ago, Craig Johnson wrote his first short story, the Hillerman Award-winning "Old Indian Trick." This was one of the earliest appearances of the sheriff who would go on to star in Johnson's bestselling, award-winning novels and the A&E hit series Longmire. Each Christmas Eve thereafter, fans rejoiced when Johnson sent out a new short story featuring an episode in Walt's life that doesn't appear in the novels; over the years, many have asked why they can't buy the stories in book form. Wait for Signs collects those beloved stories--and one entirely new story, "Petunia, Bandit Queen of the Bighorns"--for the very first time in a single volume, regular trade hardcover. With glimpses of Walt's past from the incident in "Ministerial Aide," when the sheriff is mistaken for a deity, to the hilarious "Messenger," where the majority of the action takes place in a Port-A-Potty, Wait for Signs is a necessary addition to any Longmire fan's shelf and a wonderful way to introduce new readers to the fictional world of Absaroka County, Wyoming"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,497,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible