The Last Town (Wayward Pines) by Blake…

The Last Town (Wayward Pines) (edition 2014)

by Blake Crouch (Author)

Series: Wayward Pines (3)

Secret Service agent Ethan Burke arrived in Wayward Pines, Idaho, three weeks ago. In this town, people are told who to marry, where to live, where to work. Their children are taught that David Pilcher, the town's creator, is god. No one is allowed to leave; even asking questions can get them killed. But Ethan has discovered the astonishing secret of what lies beyond the electrified fence that surrounds Wayward Pines and protects it from the terrifying world beyond.… (more)
Member:jthielking
Title:The Last Town (Wayward Pines)
Authors:Blake Crouch (Author)
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2014), 306 pages

Work Information

The Last Town by Blake Crouch

The book's blurb informed me as a reader this novel would have me on the edge of my seat from the very first up to the very last page. I would have thought, after having read the pretty well executed second volume, this might become true, Blake Crouch might have written a thrilling conclusion of this trilogy. But he didn't. On no point of the storyline have I been on the edge of my seat, and it managed to be even less exciting than "Pines" (which - I thought - was hardly possible anymore).

Don't get me wrong, I'd still recommend this trilogy for readers of this genre. But I didn't enjoy it as much as I think I would, and a major aspect was the translation. I'll blame the translator, Kerstin Fricke, for this, but this does not mean the book will have more stars than it should have in the German version, because Blake Crouch managed to find a translator who was capable of writing a horrible version with something about sixty or seventy spelling mistakes, missing letters (or even words) and absolute chaos. Even thoughts were depicted with speech marks, so that everytime I read them, I thought at first it was part of what the characters spoke.

The writing style was not as exhausting as in "Pines", but neither was it as good as in "Wayward". And - seriously - this was about an exciting subject, but I felt myself so bored I sometimes thought about skipping the next thirty pages. It was obvious who would be going to survive and who wouldn't. The end was thrilling and even made me wish for a sequel, but it was unable to make up for the first 250 pages.

Hence, I'll give this a good rating of 2,5 stars, rounded down to 2 because the novel was unable to live up to the standards of the previous two volumes. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
This book didn't live up to the other two. The ending felt like the author was out of steam and just wrote something. But you do need to read it to find out the end of the story ( )
  Sunandsand | Apr 30, 2022 |
Like the other books in the series, this isn't going to win any awards, but it is a readable thriller with a decent premise and wraps up the trilogy nicely ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
This series is, in my opinion, just a single book - quite a long one - that is split into three volumes. So, any detail I may give in my review about this third volume will spoil the fun of the earlier two. Even if you are asking for it, I am not going to spoil things for any reader. This series is a thriller primarily, with some science-fiction stuff thrown in, set in a time when - no, I don't want to go that way.
The concept of this series is catchy, and the execution is very good. The story starts of strongly, sags a bit towards the end of the first volume, and then picks up right through to the end of the third volume. As commented by many other readers, the Sci-Fi part of the plot is not very convincing but can be accepted as pure fiction. My major problem with the plot is related to the action / choice of one main character (the negative one) with respect to another main character (the positive one). Out of all the millions of choices the negative one had, he chooses the positive one for a certain purpose and, sure as day follows night, pays the price for his folly.
Once I got over this issue, the novel as a whole kept me engrossed, and gave me a good time, and that is what matters in the end. I finished the second and third books within a span of two-and-a-half days, and that says a lot about the gripping narrative. Wayward Pines is a good, solid trilogy that will entertain almost all thriller enthusiasts. ( )
  aravind_aar | Nov 21, 2021 |
A very good ending to this trilogy! But, still left the door open for another one! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Nov 11, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Fear suddenly wore him like a glove.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,928,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible