Ben Carson: A Chance at Life (Heroes of History)

by Janet Benge, Geoff Benge

As a child growing up in Detroit, Ben Carson (1951-) has a dream of becoming a physician, a dream that rose out of struggles with poverty, racism, and poor grades. As Ben persevered and strove for academic excellence, his life became one of compassion and service. Today, Benjamin Carson, MD, is known as the American neurosurgeon with gifted hands. The first surgeon to successfully separate twins joined at the head, he directed pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital for over a quarter of a century. His life continues to be a model of what it means to care deeply, serve brilliantly, and lead courageously.… (more)

Quite a few years ago, Mom read Gifted Hands to our family. It was an excellent book, but I always wondered what happened after the book ended. I assumed Mr. Carson went on and did more successful separation surgeries, but since I didn’t have access to any of his later works, I didn’t know for sure. Until this book. This was our most recent audiobook for traveling as a family, and I found it to be another gripping story—even though I was already fairly familiar with a lot of the events.

The Benges write with a passion and ability that I admire. They don’t just spit facts and dates out on the page; they take you along to the individual’s life to watch things play out, as you see sometimes in a novel. As far as I can tell, this is a factual account of a good portion of Ben Carson’s life, but it’s written in a very engaging manner.

As far as Mr. Carson himself, it was inspiring to see how he chose the difficult path of learning and choosing obedience to his mother over his own wishes. Her influence changed the course of his life, and watching him struggle and learn—and learn to rely on God—was quite a blessing. If you enjoy biographies about Christians who choose to take God at His word and do their best to live in obedience to Him, this would be an excellent choice—even if you already know something of Ben Carson’s story! ( )
  EstherFilbrun | Sep 29, 2022 |

Janet Bengeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benge, Geoffmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,565,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible