Persuasion (Penguin Classics) by Jane Austen

Persuasion (Penguin Classics) (original 1817; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen (Author), Gillian Beer (Editor)

21,437424105 (4.23)1 / 1402
Member:TheLitPages
Title:Persuasion (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen (Author)
Other authors:Gillian Beer (Editor)
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Edition: Reissue, 272 pages
Rating:***1/2

Persuasion by Jane Austen (Author) (1817)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Course of Honour by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Mature lovers who find that time brings them together and push them apart over the course of many years.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
Elevenses (134)
1810s (5)

English (402)  Spanish (6)  Italian (4)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (424)
Lovely and fun book of Victorian era. ( )
  sandra.pinkerton83 | Apr 16, 2019 |
I thought I'd read all the Jane Austen books, but this one came up for book club and I didn't have it on my shelf and it rang no bells when I read it. It's the usual love story with some twists and turns along the way. The characters are a good mix with plenty of light relief in the shape of Anne's awful family. The letter Wentworth writes to Anne is one of the great romantic letters - You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Mar 17, 2019 |
A lively, short read that is Jane Austen's final complete work. Anne Elliott is older than the norm for marriage, and eight years before this novel begins she was engaged to young Wentworth. Sadly, her best friend (her only friend, let's face it) and the person who stands between Anne and her loveless family has "persuaded" Anne to break off the engagement.

Neither party fully recovers and when Sir Elliott finds himself in straightened circumstances and forced to rent out the family estate, Anne finds herself with a larger group of adults in the town of Bath. And who should show up but (now) Captain Wentworth??

So while manners must be followed and Empire-era protocols must be observed, Anne is able to thwart the intrusive attentions of Mr. Elliott, save her school friend Mrs. Smith, calm her never-quiet sister Mary, and find herself accepted back into Captain Wentworth's heart. While there are some persons whose later mention I had forgotten from earlier in the book, I was much more easily able to grasp the threads of this story than I had with earlier stories. ( )
  threadnsong | Feb 24, 2019 |
When Louisa stumbled, I sighed and, yet, continued through the remainder of the book. I knew that Mr. Scott would be unmasked and that all would be well. The flimsy layers did trouble me greatly. I don't know whether it is national chauvinism or some maudlin coddling but how is it that most consider Austen to be superior to Balzac?

On a personal level, this was likely the only book given to me by the mother of a woman I was seeing. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Overwhelmed with a choice in what to read on the eve of my trip to London I ended up packing three books - and buying a dozen or so when I was over there - but 'Persuasion' was the one I ended up reading in the terminal and during the long flight over. I'd been holding out on reading this one, knowing there were only scraps of first impressions of her writing left after this, but it was worth the wait. The humor and irony were the perfect compliment to the tensions of modern travel.

In 'Persuasion', Anne had some years ago been convinced by her selfish family and a well-meaning friend to refuse a marriage proposal. In ensuing years the fortunes of the family have necessitated a retrenchment to Bath, but none other than the close friends of her former suitor have taken the lease of her family's house, and Anne is forced into contact with her magnificently successful former love, Wentworth. It seems, however, that he has moved on and is more interested in others close to herself.

The family dynamics, the social commentary, the view of Bath through Austen's particular lens were wonderful to experience. It isn't my new favorite, but I can appreciate the care that the childless give to other people's furniture! It was a treat to read, especially when I was able to so shortly after have tea in the pump room, take the waters and promenade about the assembly rooms. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
L'occasion de s'attacher aux amours empêchées d'une héroïne tout sauf résignée.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Nathalie Crom (Jul 9, 2011)

Austen, JaneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
On 8 August 1815, English newspapers took note of the departure for Saint Helena of HMS Northumberland and, with it, a prisoner. (Introduction)
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190917534X, 1909175358

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,222,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible