Persuasion by Jane Austen

Persuasion (original 1817; edition 2018)

by Jane Austen (Author)

21,791427104 (4.23)1 / 1411
Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.
Member:DeboraNunes
Title:Persuasion
Authors:Jane Austen (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2018), 150 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, My Books

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Course of Honour by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Mature lovers who find that time brings them together and push them apart over the course of many years.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
Elevenses (134)
1810s (5)

English (405)  Spanish (6)  Italian (4)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (427)
I think this might be the only Jane Austen book that I'd not read previously. I have, however, seen the video multiple times, as well as all other Jane Austen videos my spouse has managed to find. I believe Persuasion is one of her favorite Jane Austen books/videos. As for books, I would rate it at the bottom of the Jane Austen collection, although to be fair, it's been so long since I read Sense and Sensibility or Mansfield Park, that I might not be remembering either particularly well. It's also possible my view of the book is colored by my repeated exposure to the video. The video, fwiw, is much superior to those we have of Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey, but as I said, I'm not convinced the book is superior to either of them.

The writing style struck me as being more stilted than the other Jane Austen books I can remember, and the subject matter doesn't much interest me. An interfering acquaintance has broken off the proposed marriage between Capt. Wentworth and Anne Elliot. Some eight years later they find themselves still carrying the torch for each other, but unsure as to how to ascertain if the other still feels similarly. In the end, of course, it's all unicorns, rainbows and bunnies, but getting there is a bit tedious, and we're constantly exposed to pages of emotion-laden idle speculation. My suggestion is to watch the video and then go read Pride and Prejudice or Emma, both of which I've read within the past year, so remember clearly that they were, indeed, good reads.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
9/19
Yup, still my favorite Jane Austen novel. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
איזה מותק של ספר. היות ומהרגע הראשון היה ברור מה הסוף, בכוונה קראתי אותו לאט כי לא רציתי שייגמר. הטובים - טובים, הרעים - רעים, המספר יודע הכל וישר, והסוף הוא טוב כצפוי. כנראה שהגעתי לגיל שאני קורא רומנים לבתולות מזדקנות. ( )
  amoskovacs | May 23, 2019 |
This is a re-read prompted by a visit during our Easter holiday in sunny Dorset to the seaside town of Lyme Regis, where the central dramatic incident of this novel takes place, the repercussions of which affect the happiness of many of the characters. Austen's last completed novel at the time of her untimely death aged 41 in 1817, overall it is a sharply observed portrayal of class snobbery and rigid social immobility, especially on the part of Sir Walter Elliot and his elder daughter Elizabeth, the heroine Anne Elliot's father and sister. This is also a novel of second chances, principally for Anne with Captain Wentworth, but also for grief-stricken Captain Benwick with Louisa Musgrove. There are some attractive minor characters such as Admiral and Sophy Croft, and Mrs Smith. Probably my second favourite Austen novel (after Northanger Abbey). ( )
  john257hopper | Apr 30, 2019 |
Lovely and fun book of Victorian era. ( )
  sandra.pinkerton83 | Apr 16, 2019 |
L'occasion de s'attacher aux amours empêchées d'une héroïne tout sauf résignée.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Nathalie Crom (Jul 9, 2011)

Jane Austenprimary authorall editionscalculated

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
On 8 August 1815, English newspapers took note of the departure for Saint Helena of HMS Northumberland and, with it, a prisoner. (Introduction)
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190917534X, 1909175358

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,169,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible