Persuasion (Dover Thrift Editions) by Jane…

Persuasion (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1817; edition 1997)

by Jane Austen (Author)

22,207431104 (4.22)1 / 1425
Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.
Member:Catsandmice
Title:Persuasion (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Jane Austen (Author)
Info:Dover Publications (1997), 192 pages

Persuasion by Jane Austen (Author) (1817)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Course of Honour by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Mature lovers who find that time brings them together and push them apart over the course of many years.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
Elevenses (134)
1810s (5)

English (409)  Spanish (6)  Italian (4)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (431)
Take a seat, Mr Darcy. Captain Wentworth is ( )
  Sonya_W | Feb 5, 2020 |
Hard to connect or care about the personalities or any of the characters:

Anne = weak, timid, always holding back, submissive to other's needs and desires, no backbone -
yet loved for her "accomplishments" (which are oddly invisible) - and so fearful

No wonder Captain Wentworth was attracted to the spirited Louisa.
And him = he appears as a 'cad' for his relentless attending to women he did not really want to love,
with his last-minute letter a bit of a long plot stretch given his on-going silence.

Worse stil is the toleration of the repellant, plot dragging Mary...not that the plot was much going anywhere
except in the tedious concerns and pretensions of the middle class.

Jane should have kept this one in her desk. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jan 26, 2020 |
Written in 1816. Anne rejected a suitor eight years ago due to her family and friends not thinking him good enough. Now he is back... A good read. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Dec 6, 2019 |
This was my first Jane Austen. I am surprised how much I enjoyed reading it. The pluses for me were: the main character, Anne, whom I really liked; I liked her way of thinking and perspective about people and things in her society; and I loved the romantic intrigue, the underlying energy that was in play. I was kinda disappointed by the ending. There was a slow buildup throughout the novel and then: Boom. The ending was just factual. ( )
  joyfulmimi | Nov 26, 2019 |
The best Jane Austen novel. The protagonist is my age, 27; this is only the beginning of the novel's many perfections. ( )
  charlyk | Nov 15, 2019 |
L'occasion de s'attacher aux amours empêchées d'une héroïne tout sauf résignée.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Nathalie Crom (Jul 9, 2011)

Austen, JaneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
On 8 August 1815, English newspapers took note of the departure for Saint Helena of HMS Northumberland and, with it, a prisoner. (Introduction)
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
Anne hoped she had outlived the age of blushing; but the age of emotion she certainly had not
I hate to hear you talking so like a fine gentleman, and as if women were all fine ladies, instead of rational creatures. We none of us expect to be in smooth water all our days
A man does not recover from such a devotion of the heart to such a woman! He ought not; he does not.
You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight and a half years ago. Dare not say that a man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190917534X, 1909175358

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,327,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible