Persuasion: (classics Hardcover) (Penguin…

Persuasion: (classics Hardcover) (Penguin Clothbound Classics) (original 1817; edition 2011)

by Jane Austen (Author)

28,40252797 (4.21)1 / 1629
Anne Elliot lives at Kellynch Hall with her two sisters and vain father Sir Walter. When financial struggles begin to affect the Elliot family, they decide to move to Bath. Anne decides to visit before the move, and runs into many old friends. Most surprisingly she is reunited with Fredrick Wentworth, a past fiancé who under advice from her father and friend Lady Russell never married. Wentworth's lack of wealth and rank in the community were their main concerns and therefore eight years later Anne is still unmarried with little romantic prospects. However, through her journey and move Anne may find that what she has been looking for was right in front of her the whole tim… (more)
Member:Lily-May
Title:Persuasion: (classics Hardcover) (Penguin Clothbound Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen (Author)
Info:Penguin Classics (2011), Edition: Reprint, 250 pages

Work Information

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Course of Honour by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Mature lovers who find that time brings them together and push them apart over the course of many years.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    A Heart Adrift by Laura Frantz (Anonymous user)
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
AP Lit (1)
Elevenses (146)
1810s (9)

English (496)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (522)
Que bonito é o momento em que o capitão Wentworth escreve uma carta a Anne Elliot estando na sua presença.
Que bom é este livro.
Que magnífica é sempre Jane Austen em tudo que escreve.
  inesaparicio | Jan 25, 2024 |
I thought I'd read all of Jane Austin but when I started discussing books with Liz, I couldn't remember the plot of Persuasion. So whether it was my flawed memory or the fact that I really hadn't read it, it was fun to have a "new" Jane Austin book to read. ( )
  ellink | Jan 22, 2024 |
Another reading of Persuasion. This time was stimulated by listening to The Austen Society. I had thought in the past that Austen may have been kinder on the characters of Anne and Captain Wentworth because Anne closely resembled her in age, but I hadn't thought about her illness while writing the novel, or the possible relationships of her sister Cassandra. This reading I realized how insightful she was about misconstrued thoughts on the actions and words of others by even those of good perception and judgement. Her wit and wisdom grows with each reading. ( )
  wvlibrarydude | Jan 15, 2024 |
I can't believe I waited until I was 28 to read this. I guess, like Anne Elliot, I am only now mature enough to really appreciate it. Should I say someone persuaded me at 19 not to read it? Too on the nose?

The thing is, when I was 17, I bought a large tome at a used book store that contained P&P, S&S, and Emma--and those were the only Austen novels I ever read (until today, obviously). What actually inspired me to read it was going to see the new Jane Eyre movie with my friend Mary. Afterward, she recommended the BBC series North and South (based on the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell), and after I completely loved that, she said I had to see the movie version of Persuasion. I was embarrassed to admit that I'd never read it, so last night I went to my library's website and downloaded it, and I read it pretty much straight through, though I did sleep for a few hours after I finished part one. Now I'm super excited to see the movie, even though the actress playing Anne seems to have kind of weird face and a very unflattering hairdo.

So, do I have anything to say about the actual book? I was tickled by Anne's laughably shallow family, especially the way Mary and Elizabeth would berate someone one minute and compliment them the next. Or how Anne's father would belittle Anne's friendship with a woman because because she's widowed, poor, and over 30, when he has a woman of that exact description living in his house. And there's something deeply romantic about a love that survives rejection and nearly a decade of separation.

But I didn't like this more than the three novels in my big used book. I never fell in love with Wentworth (except maybe when I read his letter). I wanted Anne to stand up for herself a little more when her family was being so dismissive of her. And I thought the whole Mr. Elliot story was a little thin (how exactly was he going to to keep Sir Walter from marrying just by hanging around all the time?). This is not to say I didn't really like this book, but I found more to be critical of in it. Still, I've read the other three books (and seen the movies) lots and lots of times, so they've pretty much been woven in the fabric of my being. It's not really fair to compare just yet. Ask me again in ten years. ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |
Lovely, wonderful book! This is the first Austen story that I've read without already knowing the storyline. I'm so proud of myself for following it! Ha! The story of Anne and Captain Wentworth reminds me of how me and my husband's engagement came to be and was played out. Great story! ( )
  classyhomemaker | Dec 11, 2023 |
But Persuasion lacks not only the comic sparkle of Austen’s other novels. It also lacks, relatively speaking, the fineness of observation and the psychological nuance that is enough to make any book—even the fairy-tale-like love story of a teenage girl and a wealthy man—a great one.
added by vibesandall | editSlate, ADELLE WALDMAN (Apr 5, 2013)

L'occasion de s'attacher aux amours empêchées d'une héroïne tout sauf résignée.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Nathalie Crom (Jul 9, 2011)

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
On 8 August 1815, English newspapers took note of the departure for Saint Helena of HMS Northumberland and, with it, a prisoner. (Introduction)
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
Anne hoped she had outlived the age of blushing; but the age of emotion she certainly had not
I hate to hear you talking so like a fine gentleman, and as if women were all fine ladies, instead of rational creatures. We none of us expect to be in smooth water all our days
A man does not recover from such a devotion of the heart to such a woman! He ought not; he does not.
You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight and a half years ago. Dare not say that a man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.
Anne Elliot, beauté fanée et effacée de vingt-sept ans, est la seconde fille de Sir Walter Elliot, un baronnet veuf et vaniteux. Sa mère, une femme intelligente, est morte quatorze ans auparavant, en 180027 ; sa sœur aînée, Elizabeth, tient de son père la vanité de sa position. Sa plus jeune sœur, Mary, encline à se plaindre sans cesse, a épousé Charles Musgrove de Uppercross Hall, l'héritier d'un riche propriétaire des environs. Encore célibataire, sans personne dans son entourage qui soit digne de son esprit raffiné, Anne est en passe de devenir une vieille fille sans avenir ...Persuasion est le dernier roman de la romancière anglaise Jane Austen, publié posthumément en décembre 1817 mais daté de 1818. En France, il a paru pour la première fois en 1821 sous le titre : La Famille Elliot, ou L'ancienne inclination1.Le roman est regroupé en un volume double avec Northanger Abbey, le premier des grands romans de Jane Austen, écrit en 1803 mais resté non publié jusque-là. D'un ton plus grave que les œuvres précédentes de la romancière, il raconte les retrouvailles d'Anne Elliot avec Frederick Wentworth, dont elle a repoussé la demande en mariage huit ans auparavant, persuadée par son amie Lady Russell des risques de cette union avec un jeune officier de marine en début de carrière, pauvre et à l'avenir incertain. Mais alors que la guerre avec la France s'achève, le capitaine Wentworth revient, fortune faite, avec le désir de se marier pour fonder un foyer. Il a conservé du refus d'Anne Elliot la conviction que la jeune fille manquait de caractère et se laissait trop aisément persuader.Outre le thème de la persuasion, le roman évoque d'autres sujets, tels que la Royal Navy, dont l'importance ici rappelle que deux des frères de Jane Austen y servaient, pour parvenir plus tard au rang d'amiral. Comme dans Northanger Abbey, la vie mondaine et superficielle de Bath – bien connue de Jane Austen – est longuement dépeinte, et sert d'arrière-plan à tout le second volume. Enfin, Persuasion marque une nette rupture avec les ouvrages précédents, par la chaleureuse attitude des personnages positifs qu'il met en scène, en fort contraste avec les héros souvent ternes, hautains ou peu cordiaux rencontrés auparavant, et dont le Mr Darcy de Orgueil et Préjugés est l'exemple extrême.L'Edition 2020 comprend ;- biographie de l'auteure

Current Discussions

4 1918

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190917534X, 1909175358

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,581,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible