Bravo by Greg Rucka

Bravo

by Greg Rucka

Series: Jad Bell (2)

Synopsis: Jad Bell and his squad go in to grab one of the people who had a hand in the terrorist attack on the amusement park (see Alpha). In the midst of this a woman throws up her hands screaming the the safe word. Together Petra and Jad have to squelch a new terrorist attack and in the process track down the mastermind of this and the previous operation.
Review: As good as Alpha, this book continues to bring into focus the personality of Jad Bell and the rest of the group with which he works. The story is sharp and exciting - it all rings true although the author admits that it is not 'real'. ( )
  DrLed | Sep 28, 2015 |
If you're already a fan of Greg Rucka (and why the heck aren't you if not), then BRAVO is just one more example of why. The stakes are just as high in the second book in the Jad Bell series, but the scale is pulled back a bit. Bell's team saved the day in ALPHA, but the threat isn't over. Who can they trust? ( )
  JoshuaAtkins | Aug 10, 2015 |
The second of this series of Rucka's spy novels, I found, is not as engaging as the first. What sequel really ever is, I suppose. I could've done without all the sexy stuff in this book. I mean sure, James Bond always hooks up with the ladies, but Rucka goes to such detail in the sexy scenes in this book that I almost felt like I was listening to some romance novel. The overall story is still interesting, though, so if you don't mind the sexy stuff, you'll probably still enjoy this book. ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Jun 16, 2015 |
At first, I was a bit put off by the story, but as it continued, I found myself both enjoying it and really wanting to spend the time reading. That said, I found the writing itself to be ... um ... well, I noticed the writing, and that's not really a good thing. A few early shifts in the time of the narrative left me pondering whether each new section or chapter was within the main timeline or a flashback. And the use of both names and codenames (and in some cases, several codenames) was occasionally frustrating. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the story and look forward to continuing with future books in the series. ( )
1 vote MSWallack | Aug 20, 2014 |
"He has two powers, Jerry. He has reach, and he has information, and with those two things he can make almost anyone do almost anything. It is no different from what you do, what your government does, what everyone around the world strives to do. He buys what he can, and if it is not for sale, he takes it, either through extortion or force or both."

Have you ever read a book that for the majority of the book you are really enjoying it and are really interested but then all of a sudden something happens towards the end that makes you really frustrated and almost ruins the book for you? Well I had that situation with this book. I enjoyed the first book in the series but I came into reading this book not really knowing what to expect. I absolutely flew right threw this one but then certain events happened at the end that had me raging.

This book starts off right where the first one left off. Jad and his team are trying to find and get information from the Uzbek (Vosil Tohir) in hopes that he can lead them to the Architect. During their operation they also discover that another attack will be happening somewhere in America and they must race to get information from their suspects in order to stop the attack from happening.

I really enjoy that the author utilizes point-of-view changes because that allows readers to get to know the new characters better but also to get to know returning characters better as well. I love Jad's daughter, Athena, so I was happy to see that readers get to follow her from time to time. I did not like Petra, nor did I trust her. I feel like Jad was way too quick to jump into bed with her and I did not like their relationship and didn't feel it was necessary. Usually I am all for romance but for once it just felt awkward in this book. I read these books for the action and adrenaline, not to read about Jad bedding someone.

The investigation and operations that Jad's team did, at least up until the end, were action-packed and just kept me wanting more. I just wanted someone to be held accountable for the events that happened at the Wilsonville theme park and it seemed like Jad did as well which is why I was surprised when he followed certain orders at the end of the book that seemingly went against that. I was just so frustrated when he followed those orders and felt like all those operations his team went on were basically for nothing.

I was hooked on this book for the most part but just became too annoyed when certain events happened at the end. Jad's little relationship with Petra didn't really help things in my opinion either. If you're a fan of the first book in the series I feel like you'll enjoy this one and it also presents a much clearer picture of who was responsible for the events of the first book. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the galley. ( )
  dpappas | Jul 7, 2014 |
This is for Angela

The thrilling follow-up to Alpha continues the Jad Bell series from New York Times bestselling author Greg Rucka.

Still recovering from traumas both physical and emotional, Jad Bell is tasked with bringing in the Uzbek, principal organizer of the terrorist attack that nearly cost Bell his ex-wife and daughter. But the Uzbek's just the beginning: his employer, the Architect, has already set in motion another, even more devastating attack.

At the center of it all are two women under deep cover. One, as beautiful as she is deadly, has just been dispatched on American soil to execute the Architect's deadly plans. The other is an American just emerging from a complex web of lies, whose intel may be the only hope Bell has to stop the assault before it begins. But after years of pretending to be somebody else, can she be trusted?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Days after the events in Alpha, Bell and his team are asked to apprehend the terrorist who tried to blow up a theme park. Once they have him in custody, they find there is an even bigger menace on the horizon, one who is planning an more brutal attack.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,626,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible