Gangsta, Vol. 2

by Kohske

Series: Gangsta (2)

The Handymen, Nic and Worick, ply their trade in Ergastulum, a city run by the Mafia and ruled by violence. Recruited into a battle with a gang, they find themselves up against one of the "Twilights", mercenaries with superhuman abilities generated by dangerous drugs. Nic, who is also a Twilight, fights back with the same savagery and skill-- until Worick has to step in to save him from himself. Partners and equals now, in the past they were anything but, yet both men are bound together by the chains of a tragic past as they face an uncertain future.… (more)

(translation of the "recommended for: discerning readers" description: I'd recommend this to readers with mature taste in manga, who appreciate a well-crafted tale with excellent characterization.)

The first volume was quite good, but it's normally difficult to judge a series by the first volume. While reading the second, I found that the plot thickens (seemed like a good thing), the action intensifies (usually to be expected in a second volume), and the complexity of the story increases (possibly less than ideal, as some of the characters' places in the story get more difficult to track). In general, there was some character development, but much of it was still in the vein of getting to know characters as opposed to seeing a lot of new developments.

. . . then, in the last pages of this second volume, some surprisingly significant addition to character development arose, and it became clear that a lot of what had already happened before that point was setting the context for this moment. It was very nearly enough to push me to rate this five stars, but I'm always reluctant to assign that fifth star to any book. The top possible rating must be jealously guarded, lest it lose its meaning as indicating something truly amazing.

I don't know that I won't come back and bump it up to five later, though. I'm going to have to let this sit in the back of my mind while I read more of the series. ( )
  apotheon | Dec 14, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,405,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible