Sunny and the Mysteries of Osisi: 2…

Sunny and the Mysteries of Osisi: 2 (Sunny's Adventures) (edition 2018)

by Nnedi Okorafor (Author)

The newest novel by the author of Akata Witch and the forthcoming Marvel comic book series about Shuri, Black Panther's sister! "The most imaginative, gripping, enchanting fantasy novels I have ever read!" --Laurie Halse Anderson, New York Times bestselling author of Speak A year ago, Sunny Nwazue, an American-born girl Nigerian girl, was inducted into the secret Leopard Society. As she began to develop her magical powers, Sunny learned that she had been chosen to lead a dangerous mission to avert an apocalypse, brought about by the terrifying masquerade, Ekwensu. Now, stronger, feistier, and a bit older, Sunny is studying with her mentor Sugar Cream and struggling to unlock the secrets in her strange Nsibidi book. Eventually, Sunny knows she must confront her destiny. With the support of her Leopard Society friends, Orlu, Chichi, and Sasha, and of her spirit face, Anyanwu, she will travel through worlds both visible and invisible to the mysteries town of Osisi, where she will fight a climactic battle to save humanity. Much-honored Nnedi Okorafor, winner of the Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy awards, merges today's Nigeria with a unique world she creates. Akata Warrior blends mythology, fantasy, history and magic into a compelling tale that will keep readers spellbound.… (more)
Member:othersam
Title:Sunny and the Mysteries of Osisi: 2 (Sunny's Adventures)
Authors:Nnedi Okorafor (Author)
Info:Cassava Republic Press (2018), 315 pages

Work Information

Akata Warrior by Nnedi Okorafor

The story moves quickly, interesting things happen, the characters show some development so that's good. The magic is magical, and almost everything works to get to the conclusion. The final actions in Sunny's big battle did seem a bit arbitrary and contradictory what with all those read beads flying about. ( )
  quondame | Aug 11, 2022 |
I love how this series is a whole 'nother level of world building, but explains it well enough to not require re-reading the first book. The magical Nigeria is a vivid and strange place, mysteries begin to be answered, and Sunny Nwazue is starting to stand on her own. Unexpected plot twists, good relationships, and a thoroughly engrossing tale. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
This second installment of the Akata Witch series was a more introspective journey than the first one. I enjoyed it just as much watching Sunny grow as a free-agent Leopard and as a person. The first part of the book is mostly about Sunny and her learning more about her powers, especially when she is thrown in the basement of the library after breaching the secrecy of the Leopard People. Her friends Orlou, ChiChi, and Sasha remain in the background until about the middle of the book. Their adventures were just as breathtaking as the first book. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
It started really good, and then ended really great, but it seemed like the middle dragged a bit a some points. It seemed like the first book was better paced, but I'm still looking forward to the third one! ( )
  monique21 | Dec 6, 2021 |
A year after finding out she was apart of the Leopard Society, Sunny Nwazue has been studying and sharpening her magical powers to defeat a terrifying, powerful masquerade, Ekwensu. After being punished for helping her older brother get out of trouble using her magic, Sunny and her coven must travel to Osisi to fight to save the world.

Just like the first book, Akata Witch, Akata Warrior is filled with Nenedi Okorafor's rich and detailed world building that I loved. Though I still wasn't fully set on writing style - it still seemed full of details and story line that left the story feeling meandering but then rushed in places that I wish had more details. There was a lot of recap in the book, some of it would even be stuff that happened a few pages before, which sometimes helped because I would get lost in why and how things were happening because of the way the writing was.

I did still enjoy the book, even though I wasn't a HUGE fan of the first book, I grabbed the second one the day I finished the first because I still wanted to see what would happen with Sunny, Orlu, Sasha, and Chichi. Okarafor has a talent for world building and I wanted to know more. I'm still going to recommend this book to people who like science fiction and fantasy. Just because I wasn't my full cup of tea, doesn't mean it wasn't good. ( )
  oldandnewbooksmell | Sep 24, 2021 |

Nnedi Okoraforprimary authorall editionscalculated
Badaki, YetideNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruth, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Let the reader beware that there is juju in this book.
Dedicated to the stories that constantly breathe on my neck. I see you.
Greetings from the Obi Library Collective of Leopard Knocks' Department of Responsibility.

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,942,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible