Women of the Beat Generation: The Writers, Artists and Muses at the Heart of a Revolution

by Brenda Knight

An anthology of the lives, writings and secrets of the women of the Beat Generation, this book contains biographies poetry and prose by Hettie Jones, Joyce Johnson, Ruth Weiss, Jan Kerouac, and others. It contains commentary by American poet of the year Anne Waldman and Allen Ginsberg.

“We throw away our last ancient forest for Happy Meal boxes...”
- Anne Waldman

Waldman is must one of the many women I had not heard of before I read this! I'd have to say that that may well apply to the majority of the forty women profiled herein! At times it reads a bit like a textbook on the Beats, but I sure did learn a lot! Very glad that I read this!

This has to be the definitive collection of the women of the beat generation! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Mar 31, 2021 |
very interesting. a little hard to listen to. a better read i think. many people i'd never heard of. a good picture of a time. will get the book from the library. hope it has photos. one really irritating reader. hope it wasn't the Debster.
the only way spell check will let me write that word is with a capital. ( )
  mahallett | Oct 28, 2012 |
A wonderfully comprehensive overview of the often overlooked female half of the beat movement. This collection avoids the pitfalls of many similar anthologies, that offer either only the bare bones of its subjects, or go too far in depth on too few poets. A great tie-in with the more common works on Kerouac, Burroghs, etc., with well written back stories as well as a good selection of poetry. A good introduction to this slice of American literary history, and an essential item for anyone who wants to study the beats in-depth. ( )
  samantha464 | Jan 22, 2008 |
"who will slap my backside
when i am born again?"
1 vote | Jenniferzcodex | Oct 26, 2013 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,009,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible