Fictitious Dishes (2014)

by Dinah Fried

No recipes, but an assortment of photographic interpretations of culinary moments from contemporary and classic literature. Fried pairs each place setting with the text from that book that inspired its creation. She includes food facts and anecdotes about the authors, their work, and their culinary predilections.… (more)

$894 mxn
  BIBLIOTECATLACUILO | Dec 17, 2020 |
What a fun book. It would be great to have a dinner party of this same theme! ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
I love this idea! The left page has a passage from a (usually) well-known piece of literature that mentions food, and the right-hand page has a photo of the actual food.

Sounds less interesting than it really is, I swear.

Bibliophiles will enjoy it! People who like food will enjoy it! ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
The concept is something I wish I'd thought of: the author reproduces a passage about food from a novel (mostly classics, some modern novels, a few kids' books), and includes a few random facts about the book or the food or the author, suitable for the "Did You Know?" conversation starter at a cocktail party. Below that, she has a photographic representation of the food, with ambience carefully taken into account. A rustic meal might have tin dishes and a rough-hewn wooden table; a fancy tea includes a china moustache cup. Seeing the visual approximations of the written descriptions is unexpectedly delightful. So even though I think this is something I could have done myself with a few spare hours, it was extremely enjoyable. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
The author started the book as a design project while she was at The RI School of Design and then got so interested that she continued and this book is the result. On each set of facing pages, she has a literary passage on the left page and a photo she has cooked and composed on the right page. Under the passage from the book, she has included a few "footnote" facts - some about the book, some about the author, and some are interesting facts about the food. I quite enjoyed this book. ( )
  dudes22 | Jul 17, 2014 |

Fried, DinahAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cruikshank, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grandville, J.J.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Potter, BeatrixIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sharp, WilliamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tenniel, Sir JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zambrano, JuanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,862,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible