As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the…

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride

by Cary Elwes, Joe Layden (with)

Other authors: Norman Lear (Epilogue), Rob Reiner (Foreword)

I think 2 stars is fair. It was okay. Because of an interest in the film, I basically enjoyed reading it ... but not as much as most other books about films I enjoyed (or didn't!)

What prevented a higher score:
a. bland, serviceable text
b. Elwes' point-of-view predominated, but I got little sense of him as a person, and he's the main character
c. not much insight into the directorial process, art direction, costume design, anything other than sword-fighting and how he got along with the other actors
d. there were constant sidebars from other actors, all saying either "Cary was lovely" or "this was a dream project and filming was a joy" over and over.

(Note: 5 stars = rare and amazing, 4 = quite good book, 3 = a decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. There are a lot of 4s and 3s in the world!) ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
Another one that is amazing as an Audiobook. Cary's impressions are wonderful!! ( )
  CharleyBethH | Aug 23, 2018 |
Tags: Nonfiction, Audiobook, Making of a Movie, The Princess Bride, 1980s Cinema, Cult Classic

Overview: This book is told by Cary Elwes who recounts the making of The Princess Bride in the 80s, from start to finish. Cary Elwes (the man in black) is the main narrator of his own book, but the audio also pulls in other actors and producers that were a part of the making of the film, such as Rob Reiner (producer), Billy Crystal (Miracle Max), Robin Wright (Princess Buttercup), Wally Shawn (Vizzini), and others.

Highlights: I found myself laughing out loud at parts, they were so funny. This book brought back so many memories of my childhood, just reliving the movie through the eyes of the actors and actresses. I was at my parents’ house when I had finished the book and hadn’t returned it yet to the library, and I found myself telling my dad about a few chapters that had me practically rolling on the floor. Before I had any time to think, I had pulled up the audio and revisited the chapters to play it for him — we were both laughing by the end of it we had tears in our eyes.

Pre-Requisites: If you haven’t seen the movie, this book isn’t any good to you. I’d also go so far as to add that you really should read the book, The Princess Bride, as well, just as a matter of principle. The book is incredible and written by William Goldman, who is mentioned multiple times throughout As You Wish (and another person who brought me pure delight).

If you like: books made into movies, the making of a movie, The Princess Bride and other cult classics, reading about well known actors, producers, and the like ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 3, 2018 |
Any fan of The Princess Bride needs to listen to this book. I guess you could read it, but listening lets you hear everything directly from most of the actors' mouths. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jul 29, 2018 |
This book is about Cary Elwes’s experiences making the movie The Princess Bride. Cary Elwes played the main character, Westley in the movie, and had several interesting experiences making the movie. The book starts out with Cary being offered the role of Westley by the director of The Princess Bride, Rob Reiner. Cary reads lines for the role and he gets the part. He then flies to England for the making of the movie. The rest of the book is funny experiences he had while making the film. It also tells how the Princess Bride was adapted from a book into a movie.
I give this book four out of five stars. This book was really funny and well written. Cary Elwes is surprisingly good at writing It’s also pretty informative about how the movie was made. Some things I didn’t like about it were how Cary Elwes kept on going on and on and on about how great of a movie the Princess Bride is. I really like the movie, it just seemed like he kind of was kind of overdoing it. But on the most part I really liked reading this book. ( )
  tenisonf.b4 | Jun 1, 2018 |

Sarandon, ChrisReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scheinman, AndyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my little princess, Dominique
Standing onstage at Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center, surrounded by cast members and some of the crew, many of whom I've not seen in years, I feel an almost overwhelming sense of gratitude and nostalgia.

Sweet Wesley describes
filmmaking shenanigans
joyful endeavor
(BekiLynn)

From actor Cary Elwes, who played the iconic role of Westley in The Princess Bride, comes a first-person account and behind-the-scenes look at the making of the cult classic film filled with never-before-told stories, exclusive photographs, and interviews with costars Robin Wright, Wallace Shawn, Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, and Mandy Patinkin, as well as author and screenwriter William Goldman, producer Norman Lear, and director Rob Reiner.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,013,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible