As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride

by Cary Elwes, Joe Layden (with)

Other authors: Norman Lear (Epilogue), Rob Reiner (Foreword)

From actor Cary Elwes, who played the iconic role of Westley in The Princess Bride, comes a first-person account and behind-the-scenes look at the making of the cult classic film filled with never-before-told stories, exclusive photographs, and interviews with costars Robin Wright, Wallace Shawn, Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, and Mandy Patinkin, as well as author and screenwriter William Goldman, producer Norman Lear, and director Rob Reiner.… (more)

Fabulous behind-the-scenes look at the making of The Princess Bride from the perspective of Cary Elwes. So many great stories! I listened to the audiobook version narrated by Elwes with interjections narrated by so many of the other cast members. Elwes himself is fantastic at doing impressions as well.

I have another viewing of this movie queued up to watch ASAP so I can enjoy the tale once again and look more closely for the cool things he mentions. ( )
  deslivres5 | Aug 27, 2022 |
This was an incredible book, but one that is definitely designed to be heard in my opinion. The addition of other actors including their voices to the audiobook version was perfect. I was only a moderate fan of The Princess Bride before listening to this book, but this book definitely made me love it a bit more. This is a perfect road trip listen. ( )
  MBTC | Jul 9, 2022 |
This is such a lovely book! The fact I've given it 5 stars might suggest it's brilliant, and it isn't, but it is completely adorable. It's infused with such engaging joy and delight and happiness, filled with great stories about the making of the film and the pleasure that comes from being involved in a work of art that really means something to people. It's probably a bit gushy at times, but there isn't a page of it that I didn't love. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
Incredibly charming- just wish it was a bit longer, since I enjoyed it so much. Great stories, especially sharing all about Andre the Giant. ( )
  Automaticleigh | Mar 3, 2022 |
3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed this. There wasn't anything incredibly groundbreaking about the book, but it was fun and made me want to watch the movie again. ( )
  tsmom1219 | Feb 24, 2022 |

Scheinman, AndyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Reference guide/companion to

For my little princess, Dominique
Standing onstage at Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center, surrounded by cast members and some of the crew, many of whom I've not seen in years, I feel an almost overwhelming sense of gratitude and nostalgia.

Sweet Wesley describes
filmmaking shenanigans
joyful endeavor
(BekiLynn)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,923,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible