Steps (Kosinski, Jerzy) by Jerzy Kosinski

Steps (Kosinski, Jerzy) (original 1968; edition 1997)

by Jerzy Kosinski

Member:sdicht
Title:Steps (Kosinski, Jerzy)
Authors:Jerzy Kosinski
Info:Grove Press (1997), Edition: 1st Grove Press Ed, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****

Steps by Jerzy Kosiński (1968)

English (10)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  All (12)
The first part of this book really gripped me, especially having read some of the reviews that sort of made this out to be Kafkaesque with a bit of Jesus' Son, and a lot of violence/sexual perversion.
I can see some similarities to Kafka, but I don't think I would have made that association myself.
This book is short and the chapters come off as both connected but disjointed. I don't actually think there were any names in this book. And the dialogue was usually reserved to short chapters in italics, usually between a man and a woman. Sometimes it made sense who the woman was, other times it just seemed random.
Essentially the book is a dream like/random assortment of one man's vision of Soviet occupied Poland horrors. Beastiality, gang rape, a woman in a cage... all seem to be the product of a failed state.
Interesting, but not great... ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
St. Bart's 2016 #6 - Very strange little book......i had no idea what to expect and was startled at what transpired.....a whole bunch of tiny vignettes, most completely unrelated, and many rather sexual in nature. Some seemed to have a point, others did not....many about survival against oppression in rather corrupt environments.....it is an oddly disjointed book, but in a mysteriously appealing way. Does that make any sense???? I didn't think so.....but I cannot think of anything else to say. ( )
  jeffome | Jan 21, 2016 |
There is, or was, a radio programmer in LA named Joe Frank whose radio broadcasts sound eerily like this book read out loud. ( )
  mafinokc | Oct 30, 2015 |
5222. Steps, by Jerzy Kosinski (read 20 Nov 2014) (National Book Award fiction prize for 1968) This book of short stories won the National Book Award for fiction for 1968. It is the 58th such winner I have read. There are nine such winners I have not (yet) read. Steps makes very little sense, and there is no named character. There is a lot of description of outre sex, which makes for some repulsive reading. I did not think the stories made any particular sense but the book is short (only 176 pages) and the stories are mercifully short so it was not a chore to read the book, which I did in less than a day. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Nov 21, 2014 |
Choppy and disjointed. Dark. Violent. Very sexual in a dry way. Artsy. Without emotion or passion or sensuality. It was interesting.. I suppose. ( )
  CaliSoleil | Mar 5, 2014 |
It doesn’t depend on pages or chapters. It lives through quite affective vignettes composed of salvos at the reader; it pours surface tension onto the page.

Jerzy Kosińskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmers, OscarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the uncontrolled there is no wisdom, nor for the uncontrolled is there the power of concentration; and for him without concentration there is no peace.  And for the unpeaceful, how can there be happiness?
THE BHAGAVADGITA
TO MY FATHER, a mild man
I WAS TRAVELLING farther south.

A portrayal of men and women both aroused and desensitized by an environment that disdains the individual and seeks control over the imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:18 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,447,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible