Black Klansman: Race, Hate, and the…

Black Klansman: Race, Hate, and the Undercover Investigation of a Lifetime (2014)

by Ron Stallworth

Thieves of Baghdad: One Marine's Passion to Recover the World's Greatest Stolen Treasures by Matthew Bogdanos (2006-10-03) (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both titles are written bu participants not writers. Both cover a small portion of a fascinating event. 'A very small portion.

An interesting story about an African American cop who infiltrates the KKK in early ’70s Colorado Springs. ( )
  timothykandilis | Mar 29, 2019 |
This is a fascinating story — a black detective who infiltrates the KKK in early ’70s Colorado Springs. Honestly that was the biggest draw for me, I grew up in CS and was truly interested in that aspect of the story, as it’s certainly not a story I’ve heard about my home town, nor really expected. The undercover investigation and the dealings with the various KKK members was interesting but I would have liked to have more. It just sort of ended without any resolution, no followup, no afterward about what became of those Klan members or the Organization in Colorado.
Good premise, sort of lacked a culmination I think. 3/5 stars ⭐️ ( )
  justjoshinreads | Mar 22, 2019 |
This nonfiction book about the KKK presence in Colorado Springs, and to a lesser extent, to Colorado in general was fascinating to me. I wasn't blown away by the writing because there was nothing special about it. The author was a cop, a detective, in Colorado Springs, and when he happened to see an ad in the Gazette Telegraph for the KKK, he started an undercover investigation, a bit inadvertently.

For me, this book was especially interesting because I lived in Colorado Springs during the time the book covers, and I had no idea that the KKK faction was so strong. I also enjoyed reading about some of the local landmarks I knew.

I wanted to read this book before I watched the Spike Lee movie (Blackkklansman), and I did watch the movie right after finishing the book. Mr. Lee took some liberties with the story, some rather drastic ones, but the movie was more entertaining than the book although not as factually enlightening. If you choose to read this book, read it for the story, not for the quality of the writing. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Mar 14, 2019 |
The content was interesting; but, the execution/writing wasn't strong or engaging. ( )
  joyblue | Mar 12, 2019 |
This is a little book, literally and figuratively. Not much goes on here. It's not going to win any literary prizes. But the author does a great job explaining a fascinating event in his undercover cop career and he provides a good summary the project's modest accomplishments (assisting other agencies, preventing cross burnings). A worthy read. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Jan 6, 2019 |
Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.
- Robert kennedy
The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any.
- Alice Walker
For my wife, Patsy Terrazas-Stallworth,
and for Mr. Elroy Bode
All of this began in October 1978.

Relates how African American detective Ron Stallworth went undercover to investigate the Ku Klux Klan in Colorado Springs in 1978, describing how he disrupted Klan activities and exposed white supremacists in the military during the months-long investigation. "The extraordinary true story of a black police officer who goe undercover to investigate the KKK, the basis for the forthcoming major motion picture directed by Spike Lee and produced by Jordan Peele. When detective Ron Stallworth, the first black detective in the history of the Colorado Springs Police Department, comes across a classified ad in the local paper asking for all those interested in joining the Ku Klux Klan to contact a P.O. box, he responds with interest. He figures he'll receive a few brochures in the mail, maybe even a magazine, and learn more about a growing threat to his community. A few weeks later the office phone rings, and the caller asks Ron a question he thought he'd never have to answer, 'Would you like to join our cause?' This is 1978, and the KKK is on the rise in the United States. Its Grand Wizard, David Duke, has made a name for himself, appearing on talk shows and in major magazine interviews preaching a "kinder" Klan that wants nothing more than to preserve its heritage. Ron answers the caller's question that night with a yes, launching what is surely one of the most audacious and incredible undercover investigations in history. Ron recruits his partner Chuck to play the 'white' Ron Stallworth, while Stallworth himself conducts all subsequent phone conversations. During the months-long investigation, Stallworth sabotages cross burnings, exposes white supremacists in the military, and even manages to deceive David Duke himself. Black Klansman is an amazing true story that reads like a crime thriller. It's a searing portrait of a divided America and the extraordinary heroes who dare to fight back."--Dust jacket. 1978, Colorado Springs. African American detective Ron Stallworth came across a classified ad in the local paper asking for all those interested in joining the Ku Klux Klan to contact a P.O. box. He responded, expecting to learn about a growing threat to his community. Instead, he was recruited by phone to join the Klan. Stallworth recruited his partner to play the 'white' Ron Stallworth, while conducting all subsequent phone conversations himself. A searing portrait of a divided America-- and the extraordinary heroes who dare to fight back.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,099,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible