HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Yes Please (2014)

by Amy Poehler

The actress best known for her work on "Parks and Recreation" and "Saturday Night Live" reveals personal stories and offers her humorous take on such topics as love, friendship, parenthood, and her relationship with Tina Fey.
    Bossypants by Tina Fey (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Poehler and Fey are coworkers and friends. They share a similar sensibility.
    Is Everyone Hanging Out without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling (literary.feline)
    How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran (Joanna.cox)
    Little Miss Little Compton: A Memoir by Arden Myrin (Anonymous user)
    I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: By turns touching and hilarious, these memoirs relate both what it is to be a woman and what Hollywood is really like. Celebrities -- they really are just like us!

English (233)  French (1)  All languages (234)
This book wasn't too bad but I kept losing interest. It was just ok..... Three stars for making me laugh out loud a few times. ( )
  mtngrl85 | Jan 22, 2023 |
Yes, it really was amazing. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE AUDIO BOOK.

I think that's all I really need to say. ( )
  amcheri | Jan 5, 2023 |
Whether you loved her on SNL, Parks and Recreation or one of her hilarious comedy movies, "Yes Please" is a fun and light read that helps you get into the head of Comedian Amy Poehler.
The audiobook also includes a few familiar voices which adds to the charm of the book.
Open, honest and funny, the book is a must read for all her fans.
  Ash92 | Dec 27, 2022 |
Audiobook. Twice I’ve tried to listen to this book, and twice I’ve been so bored and disappointed that I just gave up an hour or two into the audiobook. This is not a book that ever needed to be written. Sorry, Amy. I’ll always love you but no more books, please. ( )
  eringill | Dec 25, 2022 |
This was really fun on audio since Poehler was reading it. At first, listening to her voice, I had a hard time separating the actress from her character on Parks and Rec, but by the end, she had shared enough of herself that I wasn’t thinking of her as Leslie Knope anymore.
The last chapter was my favorite. It was performed live before an audience, and it was a nice way to finish off the book—the author spent most of the book talking about what it’s like to be a performer, and hearing her perform and play off a crowd was the perfect ending.
As someone who grew up in the 80s, listening to Poehler’s stories about her childhood was extra relatable. Hearing about her years doing improv and working her way to eventual stardom was less relatable, but mostly really interesting. I say “mostly” because there were times I felt like I was just listening to a long list of names of people she knows or has known.
The chapter about her trip to Haiti was another favorite—I appreciated her introspection and the observations she made.
Poehler is funny and comes across as down to earth and an all around good egg. Fans from any stage of her comedy career should take this for a spin. ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
This book is heavy. Perhaps that's because it's so firmly packed with wit and insight. Fans of Poehler and her offbeat characters expect her to be outrageous and there's some of that here, but mostly this is a sweet, funny memoir and a thoughtful look at what it takes to be a woman. In fact, there's lots of advice given here, and it's smart, the kind of stuff your favorite aunt would tell you, albeit, an aunt who once shot a moose on the "Weekend Update" set while rapping alongside Sarah Palin. She addresses how to treat your career (like a bad boyfriend); how not to torture other women about their life choices; ways to shut people up about your newly single status ("Hey, lady, I don't want to fuck your husband"). With so much to enjoy and absorb, you may even want to carry this book around, reread it, and underline pertinent-to-your-own-life sentences, which would be perfectly reasonable, except for the fact that it's so darn heavy.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

For my bold and beautiful boys.
I like hard work and I don't like pretending things are perfect.
There is no reason to talk to strangers.
Quick note here: Everybody wants you to share your MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT all the time, and I'm here to tell you that you don't have to. You don't have to tell it or tweet it or Instagram it. You don't have to put it in a book or share it with anyone who doesn't feel safe and protective of your heart.
I think we don't lie to our children enough.
I think nonprofits should guarantee that giving your time and money makes your skin better and your ass smaller. Why not? There are so many people in the world with so little. Who cares why you decide to help?
A person’s tragedy does not make up their entire life. A story carves deep grooves into our brains each time we tell it. But we aren't one story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,894,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible