Yes Please (2014)

by Amy Poehler

The actress best known for her work on "Parks and Recreation" and "Saturday Night Live" reveals personal stories and offers her humorous take on such topics as love, friendship, parenthood, and her relationship with Tina Fey.
    Bossypants by Tina Fey (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Poehler and Fey are coworkers and friends. They share a similar sensibility.
    Is Everyone Hanging Out without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling (literary.feline)
    How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran (Joanna.cox)
    Little Miss Little Compton: A Memoir by Arden Myrin (Anonymous user)
    I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: By turns touching and hilarious, these memoirs relate both what it is to be a woman and what Hollywood is really like. Celebrities -- they really are just like us!

English (220)  French (1)  All languages (221)
I enjoyed this on audio because Poehler is hilarious. Was it great literature? No, of course not. But there is some nice writing in here, especially a section about her sons that was lovely. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
Listened to this via my girlfriend's Audible app. It was definitely an entertaining look into Amy Poehler's life that was made all the better with her reading it with friends. I also loved Parks and Rec and this gave some great inside looks into that as well. ( )
  nosborm | Oct 10, 2021 |
This was fun-- I really like Any Poehler. Like Tina Fey's book I look forward to reading the one Amy writes later in her career. ( )
  auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |
***DNF***

I can't listen to this anymore. Not because it was bad or anything but because I'm not an American. There were so many references to people and things I never heard of.

I tried to go on because of all the good things I read about this one... but I'm not the right audience for this. It is why I won't rate this one.
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
The audio book, with Amy narrating is really the only way to experience this work! It was so fantastic and it was really inspiring. ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
This book is heavy. Perhaps that's because it's so firmly packed with wit and insight. Fans of Poehler and her offbeat characters expect her to be outrageous and there's some of that here, but mostly this is a sweet, funny memoir and a thoughtful look at what it takes to be a woman. In fact, there's lots of advice given here, and it's smart, the kind of stuff your favorite aunt would tell you, albeit, an aunt who once shot a moose on the "Weekend Update" set while rapping alongside Sarah Palin. She addresses how to treat your career (like a bad boyfriend); how not to torture other women about their life choices; ways to shut people up about your newly single status ("Hey, lady, I don't want to fuck your husband"). With so much to enjoy and absorb, you may even want to carry this book around, reread it, and underline pertinent-to-your-own-life sentences, which would be perfectly reasonable, except for the fact that it's so darn heavy.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

For my bold and beautiful boys.
I like hard work and I don't like pretending things are perfect.
There is no reason to talk to strangers.
Quick note here: Everybody wants you to share your MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT all the time, and I'm here to tell you that you don't have to. You don't have to tell it or tweet it or Instagram it. You don't have to put it in a book or share it with anyone who doesn't feel safe and protective of your heart.
I think we don't lie to our children enough.
I think nonprofits should guarantee that giving your time and money makes your skin better and your ass smaller. Why not? There are so many people in the world with so little. Who cares why you decide to help?
A person’s tragedy does not make up their entire life. A story carves deep grooves into our brains each time we tell it. But we aren't one story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,530,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible