Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Yes Please (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Amy Poehler (Author)

The actress best known for her work on "Parks and Recreation" and "Saturday Night Live" reveals personal stories and offers her humorous take on such topics as love, friendship, parenthood, and her relationship with Tina Fey.
Member:august8914
Title:Yes Please
Authors:Amy Poehler (Author)
Info:Dey Street Books (2015), Edition: Illustrated, 352 pages

Yes Please by Amy Poehler (2014)

Bossypants by Tina Fey (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Poehler and Fey are coworkers and friends. They share a similar sensibility.
    Is Everyone Hanging Out without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling (literary.feline)
    How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran (Joanna.cox)
    Little Miss Little Compton: A Memoir by Arden Myrin (Anonymous user)
    I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: By turns touching and hilarious, these memoirs relate both what it is to be a woman and what Hollywood is really like. Celebrities -- they really are just like us!

English (215)  French (1)  All languages (216)
Amy Poehler is extremely funny. She is also down to earth and in your face. By reading this book you will truly get a sense of who Amy Poehler is and where she has come from earning your respect and admiration. You will find out that Amy has deep convictions and will share those convictions—no holds barred. Amy has a very great sense of right and wrong most of which I agree with. I especially liked her chapter about how hard it is, for women in particular, to like and accept their bodies. If you are averse to four letter words, this book is not for you. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  snailkite2884 | Jul 18, 2021 |
nonfiction/memoirs of a comic actor.
abandoned after 2 hours, 10 minutes (maybe a third of the way through?)
This is more of a memoir than a book to make you laugh--she spends some time discussing how difficult it is to write a book, and I get the feeling she wrote it because she was asked to (since Tina Fey and everyone else had books) rather than needing to communicate her thoughts.
It is a little funny so far, and it's worth mentioning that this audiobook won an Audie, but it's not as funny as other books I've recently read (such as [b:The Greatest Love Story Ever Told|38919266|The Greatest Love Story Ever Told|Megan Mullally|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1527694386l/38919266._SY75_.jpg|60487199] or [b:The Last Black Unicorn|34974310|The Last Black Unicorn|Tiffany Haddish|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1508059685l/34974310._SY75_.jpg|56250949]). So not a terrible way to spend your time, but there are so many better books out there. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Yes, it really was amazing. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE AUDIO BOOK.

I think that's all I really need to say. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Funny and often surprisingly deep, this is a nice memoir in a similar vein to Fey's Bossypants. ( )
  Ghost1y | May 16, 2021 |
I am supremely late to this one but glad to finally join in the love for it. This is an excellent experience in audio as in addition to Amy Poehler's narration there are also sections read by Patrick Stewart, Carol Burnett, Kathleen Turner, Seth Meyers, Greg Daniels, and her parents. Just as funny, smart, and kind as you'd expect this was a wonderful listening experience from start to finish. ( )
  MickyFine | May 10, 2021 |
This book is heavy. Perhaps that's because it's so firmly packed with wit and insight. Fans of Poehler and her offbeat characters expect her to be outrageous and there's some of that here, but mostly this is a sweet, funny memoir and a thoughtful look at what it takes to be a woman. In fact, there's lots of advice given here, and it's smart, the kind of stuff your favorite aunt would tell you, albeit, an aunt who once shot a moose on the "Weekend Update" set while rapping alongside Sarah Palin. She addresses how to treat your career (like a bad boyfriend); how not to torture other women about their life choices; ways to shut people up about your newly single status ("Hey, lady, I don't want to fuck your husband"). With so much to enjoy and absorb, you may even want to carry this book around, reread it, and underline pertinent-to-your-own-life sentences, which would be perfectly reasonable, except for the fact that it's so darn heavy.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

For my bold and beautiful boys.
I like hard work and I don't like pretending things are perfect.
There is no reason to talk to strangers.
Quick note here: Everybody wants you to share your MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT all the time, and I'm here to tell you that you don't have to. You don't have to tell it or tweet it or Instagram it. You don't have to put it in a book or share it with anyone who doesn't feel safe and protective of your heart.
I think we don't lie to our children enough.
I think nonprofits should guarantee that giving your time and money makes your skin better and your ass smaller. Why not? There are so many people in the world with so little. Who cares why you decide to help?
A person’s tragedy does not make up their entire life. A story carves deep grooves into our brains each time we tell it. But we aren't one story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,461,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible