Love's Executioner (Perennial Classics) by…

Love's Executioner (Perennial Classics) (original 1989; edition 2000)

by Irvin D. Yalom (Author)

"First published in 1989, this ... collection of ten tales by distinguished psychotherapist Irvin D. Yalom has become a classic. ... Yalom uncovers the mysteries, frustrations, pathos, and humor at the heart of the therapeutic encounter. In recounting his patients' dilemmas, Yalom not only gives us a rare and enthralling glimpse into their personal desires and motivations but also tells us his own story as he struggles to reconcile his all-too human responses with his sensibility as a psychiatrist. Now with a new afterword ...."… (more)
Member:memocan
Title:Love's Executioner (Perennial Classics)
Authors:Irvin D. Yalom (Author)
Info:HarpPerenM (2000), Edition: 7043rd, 304 pages
Tags:to-read

Love's Executioner & Other Tales of Psychotherapy by Irvin D. Yalom (1989)

English (19)  Lithuanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (22)
Als die über siebzigjährige Thelma ihrem Therapeuten erzählt, daß sie heillos verliebt sei, glaubt diese zunächst an eine harmlose Marotte.
Dann bemerkt er, daß die Liebe Thelmas zu ihrem früheren Therapeuten extrem obsessiv ist...

Spannend wie Kriminalgeschichten lesen sich die zehn hier versammelten Fallstudien aus der Psychiatrie.
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
Love's Executioner offers a depth of insight into the therapeutic process that is edifying and illuminating. However, as a book of literature Yalom's reconstructed dialogue is often stilted and his exposition is flagrant. I suppose I would have enjoyed the book a more if, perhaps, this was coauthored or the voice wasn't so pompous. ( )
  b.masonjudy | Apr 3, 2020 |
The book sends you in a merciless spiral of emotions, charges at you head on with compelling descriptions of its subjects and things we think we understand very clearly. I was astonished to read how common and recurring themes of life, sex, or death could go so deeply in our mind.

The book is beautiful read, both in terms of writing style and the subject itself. It took unusually long to finish this book because almost after every chapter, I had to pause and reflect on the emotions it evoked. Many scenes resonated vibrantly with very own episodes of my life.

I have never read such a rich description of experiences. ( )
  raivivek | Mar 22, 2020 |
Yalom is smart and influential and experienced but he lacks a kind of creative edge, which causes me to lose interest. ( )
  DF1158 | Oct 20, 2019 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Mar 2013):
- Besides this book and other non-fic, he has written several, what he calls "teaching novels", including one, THE SPINOZA PROBLEM...
- Admittedly, I was drawn to this book for the opportunity to be an invisible witness to people's chronic emotional problems, laid out in all its glory. Beyond the voyeuristic, however, this seems to be a very candid portrait of ten distinct patients... He espouses "existential psychotherapy", asserting that every human faces these four concerns: Inevitable death; Freedom and its responsibilities; Our ultimate aloneness; and Meaninglessness. Overcoming anxieties, despair, anger, et al, associated with these dilemmas is the bottom line of his approach. Sounds like a depressing read? Not so, I cheerfully proclaim.
- The clinical stories are related clearly, in layman's language, and are entirely set in the psychiatrist's office. The therapy sessions were all interesting to varying degrees, especially in how they evolved. Some patients faced unremitting obsession, as in the title story in which a (now) senior citizen was unable to let go of a four week romantic idyll from many years ago. Another case involved a hopelessly overweight woman, who blames her bad habits on a consortium of external wrongs. Her metamorphosis is remarkable.
- Yalom's frank admissions to his own prejudices and weaknesses is great validation.
[note: Yalom is now 87 and recently published an autobiography, BECOMING MYSELF. ] ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Sep 23, 2018 |

Irvin D. Yalomprimary authorall editionscalculated
Polanco, EmmanuelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

The stories ahead are creative revolutions. They will turn you upside down, inside out.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140128468, 014197544X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,481,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible