dismiss

Touch by Claire North

Touch (2015)

by Claire North

He tried to take my life. Instead I took his. It was a long time ago. I remember it was dark, and I didn't see my killer until it was too late. As I died, my hand touched his. That's when the first switch took place. Suddenly, I was looking through the eyes of my killer, and I was watching myself die. Now switching is easy. I can jump from body to body, have any life, be anyone. Some people touch lives. Others take them. I do both.… (more)

The first time that Kepler discovered that he could jump from one body to another was when he was first murdered. As he was viciously beaten by the killer, he reached out and grabbed him and was suddenly looking at his own broken body in the dark alleyway. Kepler has not died, instead, he has become a ghost with the ability to flit between people at the slightest touch. There he lives their lives, experiences their feelings, sometimes for a few moments, sometimes for a whole lifetime. He values them as hosts and ensures that his experiences from others are shared with them to leave them something after he moves on.

He is not the only one who has this ability, as he discovers by accident one day as he tries to jump to another person. His own existence is threatened as his host is assassinated and it is only by jumping fast that he is able to save himself; once again he ends up seeing through the eyes of the person who has just killed him. This time though he is seeking vengeance for the murder, and his search for the answers will force him to find out who Aquila are and to once again face his nemesis, Galileo.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August was a book that turned your concept of time travel inside out and with this North has done it again with the ghosts that travel the world in their hosts. On top of that, there is a reasonably plotted thriller with fast pacing and good twists. I particularly liked the way that she used the concept of amnesia to explain how the hosts couldn’t always explain what had happened when the presence departed. It can get a little confusing as they flit between each body so very quickly and I didn’t really get why there were parts of the story that took us back in time to past experiences, it was enough to keep up with the regular characters. Dramatic ending too. Looking forward to reading more of her books. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
I had to read about a quarter of the book before I started to enjoy it, then, wow, so very different a really good read ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
I really like Claire North as an author and, as the one other of her books that I've read, I found this one to be imaginative and inventive, Imagine if you had the ability to move from body to body with just a mere touch. Our protagonist...Kepler, is a being that is able to occupy the body of any person simply by touching them and jumping into their skin. As a result, Kepler...we never learn if the character is male or female... has been able to survive for many lifetimes as a variety of hosts. Unfortunately not everyone is thrilled that there are beings with this ability and Kepler finds that he is hunted constantly and jumping bodies is something that "It" must do often. As a result the body is not always that of a law abiding citizen. Kepler must continue with whatever path the now occupied body chooses to take until he jumps again. The entire idea made this a page turner and well worth the time to read. ( )
  Carol420 | Dec 18, 2019 |
wild ride, well written, thought provoking action packed plot. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Basically, what Max Gladstone said. I loved the thoughts this wove around questions (or non-issues) of identity, and I loved the gung-ho but communicative paragraphing. I loved how it raced, but also how dense it was, and how it always captured the tiny moments of immense but fleeting tragedy. It was really good. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |

Claire Northprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burdess, SophieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Josephine Cebula was dying, and it should have been me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,510,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible