Tales Of An Alien Invader

by Michelle Brown

Meet Felix Winters, an eleven-year-old alien sent on his first scouting mission to Earth. His assignment is simple: blend in, observe his surroundings, and ultimately decide the fate of humanity. But blending in is harder than he imagined, as, upon enrolling in a local middle school, he becomes the target of a trio of boys led by Curtis Jenkins, a bully with a sick sense of humor. It's only thanks to a surprising newfound passion for baseball and the friendship of two fellow outcasts that Felix feels like he might have a chance. As he immerses himself further in the daily life of a preteen?and the ups, the downs, and the struggle to fit in that comes with it?he realizes something troubling, something that was not a part of the plan. He may be becoming a little too human. His mission becomes even more complicated when he stumbles upon a startling discovery that forces him to face the facts: Felix Winters doesn't have everyone fooled.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is told from the point of view of an alien boy. He's sent to Earth so that he can study the inhabitants. If Earth creatures prove worthy, the aliens won't destroy the planet.

I really enjoyed this story, I'll be looking for the next installment. ( )
  TheresaUpshur | Mar 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a thoroughly enjoyable book! Though it is intended for a younger audience, it is also a treat for adults - the story was intriguing and the characters showed growth. I found it amusing and heartwarming. I will keep an eye out for other novels from this author! ( )
  madamediotte | Jan 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First off, there are aliens in our universe.
Secondly, there are aliens called the Boptons (which, given that I am a child of the 80s and 90s made me really want there to be a reference to the Bop It! game at least once… but I digress.) … Anyway, 11 year old aliens from this race go to different planets. The reader assumes this is for research prior to invasion but (minus the title) it’s never really sure.

Our story starts with an 11-year old Bopton takes over the appearance of a small boy from Earth. The Earthling family has been abducted and sits terrified in front of the Bopton family. They have become guests on the Bopton world, where the Bopton mom will look after them as other Boptons study them.

At this point, the 11-year old Bopton becomes Felix Winters and soon enough he lands on Earth. His spaceship heads back home. He will need to stay on Earth until a vague, undefined future date where he will answer a question before he can go home. Now he needs to find his way to the real Felix’s aunt and uncle’s house in order to blend in with the family.

But all that is just setting up the story. The real heart of this story is about how Felix makes friends and enemies at school, as well as how he views humanity and American culture. Each chapter is headed by a sheet of paper with observations written on them. They are interesting, accurate, curious and telling for the next part of the story. His developing friendships are interesting to watch. The rest of the characters are generally well fleshed out, and the plot moves quickly without dragging.

This was a very interesting read. I can’t wait to read more in the series. ( )
  pegasus.rose.99 | Sep 10, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was excited to receive an early review copy of "Tales of an Alien Invader," since I enjoy science fiction. This is an interesting read for boys, girls, and adults - especially if you like baseball. An 11-year-old alien boy is sent on a "rite of passage" scouting mission to Earth where he assumes the identity of an Earth boy to live with his extended family. His job is to live as a human being, study the human race and report back.

Every chapter begins with notes from his journal, documenting his studies. They provide interesting tidbits. I especially enjoyed his reaction to the smells humans put on their bodies and clothes and how they all don’t blend well together. This book is easy to read and provides some fun ways to learn science. It also deals with the issue of bullying.

There were some typos in the version I received, which will be corrected in the published version. I highly recommend this book. It kept my interest and I look forward to more from author Michelle Brown. ( )
  YJA127 | Sep 9, 2014 |
As a child, I was convinced that I was the alien and the mother ship would some day return to collect me. This middle school YA novel tells the reverse. An alien boy, Felix, is groomed for a trip and extended stay on earth as an experiment. In school, he finds himself the target of a bully and his groupies, he make friends with a couple of other outcasts, and is kidnapped by a school employee who believes he was abducted by aliens. He does some uncool things, too, like breaking and entering the home of the bully to look for his stolen property. We can tell from the writing style that the author is a school English teacher and I commend her for a charming tale that the middle grade population should gobble up. My thanks to LibraryThing for a complimentary copy of this work. ( )
  musichick52 | Aug 23, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,485,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible