Why Mindfulness is Better Than Chocolate: Your Guide to Inner Peace,…

by David Michie

Mindfulness practice can help you reduce stress, improve performance, manage pain and increase wellbeing. These are the reasons why elite athletes, performing artists and business leaders are taking up the practice, and why it is being introduced into the world's most successful companies, banks, business schools - even the US Army...David Michie introduces mindfulness practice and offers innovative solutions to common obstacles. Drawing on ancient Buddhist teachings and contemporary science, he also takes us beyond 'mindfulness lite,' offering lucid instructions on how to experience the pristine nature of one's own consciousness directly.an encounter that is truly life-changing...Written with warmth and good humour, Why Mindfulness is Better than Chocolate is the ultimate guide to self-discovery. It will make chocolate taste better too!… (more)

I like David Michie. But this was a bit disappointing. It has too many overlaps with "Hurry up and meditate". Only the last section was interesting. But it put me onto "Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength" by John Tierney and Roy Baumeister. So that's a good thing. ( )
  PeterNZ | May 11, 2015 |
An introduction to mindfulness, how to do it and the benefits it may bring both to individuals and organisations. Research has shown that the human mind wanders a large percentage of time and that results in unhappiness. Furthermore, we are at our happiest when our mind is not wandering and that is similar to the mindfulness state. This agrees with centuries-old Buddhist teaching. Thus, meditation is the training ground for mindfulness. The journey to mindfulness can be long and difficult even though it can be started with meditation sessions of just 10 minutes a day. The benefits of achieving mindfulness can be quite significant for people in all situations. And mindfulness is becoming increasingly popular in all kinds of fields.

This book highlights the benefits of mindfulness for both individuals and organisations. It then provides some tips for establishing meditation as a habit & applying mindfulness in daily life. The author points out that achieving the higher levels of meditation can be just as difficult as achieving higher levels of skill in other endeavours, such as music and creative writing. The last chapter dwells on the links between the state of our mind and the state of our health, and suggests that mental factors may contribute to disease as much as physical factors.

I had already been doing yoga for over a decade as well as some meditation and had realised some of the benefits when I read this book. Reading it has encouraged me to continue my mindfulness journey. Given the benefits, even at low skill levels, I would encourage others to read this book and discover the benefits for themselves. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | Sep 28, 2014 |

David Michie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,391,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible