The Wonder of All Things by Jason Mott

The Wonder of All Things

by Jason Mott

2071987,779 (3.59)3
After her ability to heal physical ailments is revealed to the world, thirteen-year-old Ava has trouble dealing with all the people who come seeking a miracle, especially since, with each healing, she grows weaker. "On the heels of his critically acclaimed and New York Times bestselling debut novel, The Returned, Jason Mott delivers a spellbinding tale of love and sacrifice. On an ordinary day, at an air show like that in any small town across the country, a plane crashes into a crowd of spectators. After the dust clears, a thirteen-year-old girl named Ava is found huddled beneath a pocket of rubble with her best friend, Wash. He is injured and bleeding, and when Ava places her hands over him, his wounds disappear. Ava has an unusual gift-- she can heal others of their physical ailments. Until the air show tragedy, her gift was a secret. Now the whole world knows, and suddenly people from all over the globe begin flocking to her small town, looking for healing and eager to catch a glimpse of The Miracle Child. But Ava's unique ability comes at a great cost, and as she grows weaker with each healing, she soon finds herself having to decide just how much she's willing to give up in order to save the ones she loves most. Elegantly written, deeply intimate and emotionally astute, The Wonder of All Things is an unforgettable story and a poignant reminder of life's extraordinary gifts"--Jacket.… (more)

An ordinary day turns tragic as the local air show ends in a fiery crash. 13-year-old Ava and her best friend Wash are trapped underneath the rubble of the observation tower. When Ava discovers that Wash is mortally wounded she does the impossible and heals him. In the age of technology, the whole thing is caught on video and quickly goes viral sending the world knocking at the "Miracle Child's" door. All Ava wants is for things to go back to normal, but can that possibly happen when even those closest to you want something from you? Beautifully written and emotionally gripping, this one will keep you hooked to the end.

Bettina P. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

During a local festival of some sorts a small plane crashes into the people watching the show. In the events that follow, thirteen year old Ava is seen when she miraculously heals the wounds of her best friend Wash. The video spreads around the internet like wildfire. Although it might seem wonderful at first, the healing doesn't come without a price. Ava's own body is wasting away and everyone - for their own interests - wants her to do more, more, more...

Interesting novel. The questions it raised are no easy ones and they don't have simple - if any - answers. Is it selfish to keep Ava's powers from the rest of the world, even when using them is killing her? If they should be used, who should she help them? For it's more than obvious she can't save them all. In the end no answers are given, but the book focuses mostly on people wanting help from Ava, even when it's her close family (who has their own understandable reasons but also know it's killing Ava). (I did however wonder where the people from the other site were, I mean there must have been people who're against doing this to a child (social services?). Or perhaps an important person like a president requesting help, someone who has more power to push someone into doing something than the good old guild-trap. I wonder how the characters would have solved something like that, it would force them in taking decisions more).

It reminded me of Jason Mott's first novel, The Returned, as it features another thing people might wish for, but that growing over their heads very soon and turning in a disaster instead. The writing was fast and easy to read. I thought Ava and Wash's relationship was cute.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I read this because I read "The Returned" and was disappointed. This one was better. "The Returned" fell short on plot, and "The Wonder of All Things" delivered in that area. This book was easy and quick to read, but was still beautifully written. It probably could have moved a bit faster, and the end felt hasty.
I'll be keeping an eye on Jason Mott. He asks difficult questions and attempts to answer them through fiction, and while his plots move maybe a little too slowly, he leaves his readers with something to think about long after his books end. ( )
  porterbeth13 | Apr 12, 2016 |
I just couldn't get into it. Moves very slowly in the beginning with little reason to hang in there for the rest of the book. If the characters had been more likable and engaging, maybe. As it stands, I couldn't even finish it. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
Jason Mott introduces us to another fantastic idea. In The Returned he imagined a world where our dead come back to us. Now in The Wonder of All Things he explores the idea of a modern day miracle worker; a healer – and the ramifications that occur when the world comes knocking on this new ‘messiah’s’ door.

After an accident at an air show, thirteen-year-old Ava is caught on camera saving the life of her best friend, Wash. This unexplained miracle leads to thousands of people inundating the small town of Stone Temple – all hoping for a chance to see and possibly be healed by The Miracle Child. But healing takes a great toll on Ava: as she gives life, so hers drains away. With the thousands and thousands of people pleading for her help, who should Ava choose to save? And at what personal cost?

While the premise is promising, and the idea intriguing, I felt the story and writing fell a little flat. As with The Returned, I wasn’t invested enough with most of the characters (with the exception of Ava’s stepmother – Carmen). I also guessed the outcome of the story quite early on in the book – although that did not deter me. The premise wasn’t pushed far enough, I felt as though we just barely broke the surface of major moral dilemmas – social responsibility; selfishness; science vs religion and so on.

At its heart The Wonder of All Things is about the value of life and what motivates us. Is every life equally important? Or should one be sacrificed to save many? There are many ethical conundrums in this book, and it will beg the question: what would I do?
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
To those who pull us through the impossible.
For Once, Death took pity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,776,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible