Arboretum by David Byrne

Arboretum (edition 2006)

by David Byrne

For over twenty-five years, David Byrne has focused his unique genius upon forms as diverse as disco, architectural photography, and PowerPoint. Now he presents what may be his most personal work to date, a collection of drawings and diagrams mapping the strange corners of his mental landscape. It’s an eclectic blend of faux science, automatic writing, satire, and an attempt to find connections where none were thought to exist -- a sort of self-therapy, allowing the hand to say what the voice cannot. Irrational logic, it’s sometimes called. It's the application of logical scientific rigor and form to basically irrational premises. To proceed, carefully and deliberately, from nonsense, with a straight face, often arriving at a new kind of sense. The world keeps opening up, unfolding, and just when we expect it to be closed -- to be a sealed, sensible box -- it shows us something completely surprising. Byrne’s enigmatic, enchanting collection teaches us that there is absolutely no reason to discount anything, of any type, anywhere.… (more)
Member:magnetbox
Title:Arboretum
Authors:David Byrne
Info:McSweeney's (2006), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:***

Arboretum by David Byrne

Pretty fucking brilliant. Plus, it's full of those smudges that mark us left-handers who deign to work with a pencil. Just goes to show that a bad grade in penmanship due to hook writing doesn't doom one to a life without lofty thoughts. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,214,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible