Some mysteries should stay buried.Archaeologists Pippa Quinn and Charlie Jackson find advanced technology in undisturbed 16th Century graves. A portent, the discovery precedes thousands of giant sinkholes opening up across the globe as extreme weather threatens the population. Charlie suspects the two are related. A centuries old plan unfolds.Pippa, Charlie, and the rest of humanity will have to fight for survival, sacrificing the life they've known to protect Earth from an ancient and previously dormant enemy. Even that might not be enough as this new enemy exacts a plan that will change the course of humankind forever. Critical Dawn is an apocalyptic ride to the very edge of human existence. Factions will battle for control of the Earth-if they can avoid the threat of extinction.… (more)

Starting out in today's world on an archeological dig, the story quickly moves into a future where Earth has been invaded by aliens who are terraforming the planet and are working towards the annihilation of all life on Earth -- with some humans fighting against this. Not entirely sure where this vol 1 is going to go after this, and I am not going to bother finding out. ( )
  WiebkeK | Jan 21, 2021 |
I was somewhat disappointed in "Critical Dawn (The Critical Series Book 1)". Initially, the mention of the missing settlers from Roanoke Island grabbed my attention and thinking the authors might show an interesting take as to their disappearance. While the historians were investigating the site, a sink hole developed and weird things begin to happen and the main characters' lives are suddenly in jeopardy. We are then transferred to outer space and are introduced to a spaceship crew on a flight through the galaxy. It's all very confusing from that point on. We don't learn much about most of the characters through the story but come to like a few - only to see them killed off, leaving readers with mouths agape.

The premise of the story is rather far fetched, but it did garner my interest enough to finish the book. With two authors working on this tome, there is a distinct difference in the "voice" of the story as it seems each author had their own style which further complicated the story line. Additionally, I find it unrealistic that so many typos and repeat words exist throughout the story...with two authors, these should not have occurred.

The story was just okay, but not something that I would recommend to others at this time. I did give an extra star only to recognize the effort, time and dedication required to publish a book. I would strongly suggest the authors consider rewriting in order to improve it, take heed of the many suggestions offered by my fellow reviewers. Good Luck! ( )
  JPodlaski | Aug 5, 2015 |

Wearmouth, Darrenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barnes, Colin F.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Barnes, Colin F.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Some mysteries should stay buried. Archaeologists Pippa Quinn and Charlie Jackson find advanced technology in undisturbed 16th Century graves. A portent, the discovery precedes thousands of giant sinkholes opening up across the globe as extreme weather threatens the population. Charlie suspects the two are related. A centuries old plan unfolds. Pippa, Charlie, and the rest of humanity will have to fight for survival, sacrificing the life they’ve known to protect Earth from an ancient and previously dormant enemy. Even that might not be enough as this new enemy exacts a plan that will change the course of humankind forever. Critical Dawn is an apocalyptic ride to the very edge of human existence. Factions will battle for control of the Earth—if they can avoid the threat of extinction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,030,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible